Rear Wheel Spacing? 130mm in a 126 frame
    RoadBikeReview Member

Rear Wheel Spacing? 130mm in a 126 frame

Will a newer 130 rear hub work in an older bike with 126 spacing? I know I could expand the rear triangle to except the 130 but should I? I want to put a 8 or 9 speed setup on this bike. It is a Reynolds 531 steel frame?

Thanks...Dan

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by cdadaa
    Will a newer 130 rear hub work in an older bike with 126 spacing? I know I could expand the rear triangle to except the 130 but should I? I want to put a 8 or 9 speed setup on this bike. It is a Reynolds 531 steel frame?

Thanks...Dan
    Step 1: Take the frame to your LBS, grab a wheel off the rack, and stick it in the bike. The 2 mm per side difference is less than the tolerance of a lot of production frames. A lot of times, it just works. If the wheel slides in, you're done. If you need to spread the stays a bit with your hands to get the wheel in, you're probably done.

Step 2: If getting a 130 mm hub into the frame requires lots of pulling, shoving, and other evilness, have the frame spread. If you've got a good supply of 126 mm wheels, and you don't want to respace all of them, consider going to 128 mm. This will usually allow for easy use of either hub width.

Step 3: Ride the bike. Don't expect too much from the extra gear or 2. With my preferred road gearing, 6/7/8/9 doesn't affect me much. I'm currently running a 14-26 6-speed. My 7 speed freewheels are 13-26. 8 speed gets me a 12. 9 speed gets an 11. Nothing else changes. For me, a 53x14 is more gear than I need. I've owned 1, 5, 6, 7, and 8 speed bikes, and have had no trouble getting the gearing that I like with any of them. For me, the sweet spot is probably 7 speed, but 6 works well too.

Your gearing needs will be different from mine, and, of course, switching to indexed brifters means going to at least 8 speed.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

--Shannon

Jan 2004

??

Quote Originally Posted by tube_ee

, and, of course, switching to indexed brifters means going to at least 8 speed.

--Shannon
    7 speed sora and old 7 speed RSX.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Coggs
    7 speed sora and old 7 speed RSX.
    OOPS. Forgot about Sora. Probably because I don't care for them. 7 speed RSX is getting tough to find, but works well. Wasn't there 1 year of 7 speed 105 STI?.

--Shannon

Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by tube_ee
    Wasn't there 1 year of 7 speed 105 STI?.

--Shannon
    Nope.A sharp shop guy oughta know that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Coggs
    Nope.A sharp shop guy oughta know that.
    I was out of the sport when brifters took over, so my knowledge is weak about parts from the transition period. Old stuff I'm good with, because I still use it, and new stuff I'm decent on, because I deal with it all the time. That's why I asked the question. I thought I remembered one year when 600 Ultegra was STI 8 speed and 105 was STI 7, but I guess not.

--Shannon