Rebuilding White Industries T11 hubs
    pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Rebuilding White Industries T11 hubs

My LBS just charged me an arm and a leg to replace the bearings in a wheel set with barely 5000 miles on it. Since I've got 4 other bikes with T11 hubs (that have a lot more than 5000 miles on them) I need to start doing this myself. Years ago, I used to build wheels using Shimano hubs. They were easy to disassemble using wrenches and the ball bearings were simple loose bearings. These hub have Enduro cartridge bearings that have to be installed using a bearing press.

Can anyone recommend a bearing press for home use? I don't want a POS cheapo one -- but I also don't need a bike shop version. The bearings required are two 6901-2rs and four 6802-2rs. Looks like they total around $60.

Any other tips on rebuilding these hubs are appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Did this for a friend. There are pics on the White industries site. They said you could use a socket to knock out the bearings and it worked just fine - no press needed. Also used to press them in - just be sure the socket presses on the outer race. And be sure to follow instructions with the set screws.

I much prefer my cup and cone Dura Ace hubs, smoother, longer lasting
    better sealed and easier to rebuild.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    My LBS just charged me an arm and a leg to replace the bearings in a wheel set with barely 5000 miles on it. Since I've got 4 other bikes with T11 hubs (that have a lot more than 5000 miles on them) I need to start doing this myself. Years ago, I used to build wheels using Shimano hubs. They were easy to disassemble using wrenches and the ball bearings were simple loose bearings. These hub have Enduro cartridge bearings that have to be installed using a bearing press.

Can anyone recommend a bearing press for home use? I don't want a POS cheapo one -- but I also don't need a bike shop version. The bearings required are two 6901-2rs and four 6802-2rs. Looks like they total around $60.

Any other tips on rebuilding these hubs are appreciated.

Google "homemade bearing press" for examples of, um, homemade bearing presses; they all kinda look like this:

You mentioned you didn't want a POS cheapo one, so this can be your standard of rejection, but it works. As steelbikerider said, carefully (ask me how I know) tapping out the bearing gets 'em out--my old Suntour "bearing tool," from the dawn of sealed bearings, is basically just that, a thing to tap out bearings. (Suntour also included things to tap new bearings back into the hub, but this is a bad idea--pressing them in is better.

Re non-POS/homebuilt tools, Amazon has some options that aren't too expensive. I thought the Boca Bearing tool looked pretty good.
    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Donald Trump has never won a popular vote in a governmental election.

There are over 13 million covid cases in the United States (as of Thanksgiving), eleven months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post
    Did this for a friend. There are pics on the White industries site. They said you could use a socket to knock out the bearings and it worked just fine - no press needed. Also used to press them in - just be sure the socket presses on the outer race. And be sure to follow instructions with the set screws.

I much prefer my cup and cone Dura Ace hubs, smoother, longer lasting
    better sealed and easier to rebuild.
    So just use a socket wrench that presses against the outer edge of the cartridge?

You do have to love the simplicity of Shimano hubs. I'm amazed they still use loose bearings. I was building wheels with Ultegra hubs, DT 14/15/14 spokes and Mavic Open Pro rims ages ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A little disheartening to hear, many put the T11 hubs almost on par with Kings. I have a couple of wheelsets with T11's but they each have just under 4k miles and thankfully no problems yet, knock on wood.
    What kind of symptoms did you have, excessive play? Noise?
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    A little disheartening to hear, many put the T11 hubs almost on par with Kings. I have a couple of wheelsets with T11's but they each have just under 4k miles and thankfully no problems yet, knock on wood.
    What kind of symptoms did you have, excessive play? Noise?
    This is what I was thinking. 5K miles and bearings are already shot sounds pretty p!ss poor. I just bought a pair of T11's for my next wheelbuild and am disappointed to hear this. Not to mention that White Industries didn't even include skewers with their hubs.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This is what I was thinking. 5K miles and bearings are already shot sounds pretty p!ss poor. I just bought a pair of T11's for my next wheelbuild and am disappointed to hear this. Not to mention that White Industries didn't even include skewers with their hubs.
    I've got five bikes with White Industries hubs on them. One has 12k miles on the wheels and they feel fine. Frankly, I think I got taken to the cleaners at the LBS I go to by the new mechanic there who is a perfectionist. He said he felt the bearings rubbing on the front wheel. I could feel it very slightly and said go ahead and rebuild the hub and replace the bearings if necessary. I was under the impression that the bearing were the loose kind like what Shimano hubs have (that cost a few bucks). I go to pick the bike up and he'd replaced all the bearings in both wheels. He gave me the old bearing cartridges and they all feel fine, except for one that rubs a little.

I've been going to that shop for years -- never bought a bike there because they sell bikes I have no interest in. Most of the older mechanics know me and are really good.I guess lesson is, if I see the young guy, try to get some one else.

No, Lombard, I'm not going to find another shop, so save that comment.

I do think that WI T11 hubs are really nice. And as far as not coming with skewers, I don't think most hubs come with skewers.

I am going to try doing this myself in the future. Looks like I can get the bearing cartridges for $60 for both wheels.

Banned Sock Puppet
    I've got five bikes with White Industries hubs on them. One has 12k miles on the wheels and they feel fine. Frankly, I think I got taken to the cleaners at the LBS I go to by the new mechanic there who is a perfectionist. He said he felt the bearings rubbing on the front wheel. I could feel it very slightly and said go ahead and rebuild the hub and replace the bearings if necessary. I was under the impression that the bearing were the loose kind like what Shimano hubs have (that cost a few bucks). I go to pick the bike up and he'd replaced all the bearings in both wheels. He gave me the old bearing cartridges and they all feel fine, except for one that rubs a little.

I've been going to that shop for years -- never bought a bike there because they sell bikes I have no interest in. Most of the older mechanics know me and are really good.I guess lesson is, if I see the young guy, try to get some one else.

No, Lombard, I'm not going to find another shop, so save that comment.

I do think that WI T11 hubs are really nice. And as far as not coming with skewers, I don't think most hubs come with skewers.

I am going to try doing this myself in the future. Looks like I can get the bearing cartridges for $60 for both wheels.
    So it sounds like you didn't really need new bearings. Probably just an inexperienced mechanic.

FYI, Shimano are the only hubs left that use loose ball bearings. All other hubs use a cartridge and there is no "hub rebuilding" other than replacing a cartridge.

Shimano hubs which I have always built with in the past come with their own skewers. So my assumption was that all hubs come with their own skewers. Apparently not. I learn something new every day.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I've got five bikes with White Industries hubs on them. One has 12k miles on the wheels and they feel fine. Frankly, I think I got taken to the cleaners at the LBS I go to by the new mechanic there who is a perfectionist.
    yes definitely. I've got over 20k on a couple and they are perfect.

Sometimes it feels, to the hand, like bearinsg are rough but what it really is is that there's a little grit (no in the bearings) that just need to be wiped off.

Probably an honest mistake but you probably needed a rag not new bearings.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    So it sounds like you didn't really need new bearings. Probably just an inexperienced mechanic.

FYI, Shimano are the only hubs left that use loose ball bearings. All other hubs use a cartridge and there is no "hub rebuilding" other than replacing a cartridge.

Shimano hubs which I have always built with in the past come with their own skewers. So my assumption was that all hubs come with their own skewers. Apparently not. I learn something new every day.
    I remember buying Dura Ace groups that came with hubs and a threaded headset. The skewers were really nice internal cam skewers like the Campy ones. Three of my bikes have horizontal drop outs so I need skewers that can really be clamped down hard.