Removing bottom bracket on a Carbon Frame Bike
    RoadBikeReview Member

Removing bottom bracket on a Carbon Frame Bike

I had a creaking bottom bracket on my carbon fiber Bianchi Infinito. I removed the crank and tried to remove the bearing cups. I had the correct tool and tried to back the cups out. They would not budge. I decided against removing the cups because I was afraid of cracking the frame. I cleaned up the bearings with a rag and Q tip and regreased them. This cured the creak. I am now wondering what will happen should I need to remove the BB in the future. It is an FSA MegaEXO. I am assuming that it was installed with Loctite. Do I need to heat it up to break the bond on the loctitel? The thought of heating it up really freaks me out !! I have used a cheater pipe on things like this before but never on anything this expensive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Curious how the bike was being held when you where twisting on the bearing cup? I have had bearing cups that were too tight to remove with the bike held in a stand clamp but once I put the bike on the floor I had ample ability to break the cups loose, but they still took a good bit of force to loosen. One thing to keep in mind, the BB is under a severe force when riding and think of the force when climbing a steep grade out of the saddle. I doubt you will damage it with the wrench.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sometimes I use a 18" x 1/2" drive breaker bar with the cup removal socket tool.

What did you mean by "the correct tool"?

As dc says, have the frame firmly supported. Either a stand that supports the BB area, Or just the whole bike standing on the floor.

Make of sure the threading on that frame - English or Italian. I'm guessing English for a Taiwan frame.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Sometimes I use a 18" x 1/2" drive breaker bar with the cup removal socket tool.

What did you mean by "the correct tool"?

As dc says, have the frame firmly supported. Either a stand that supports the BB area, Or just the whole bike standing on the floor.

Make of sure the threading on that frame - English or Italian. I'm guessing English for a Taiwan frame.
    I have a Park BBT-19 which is a socket type tool. You are correct, it is an Italian design made in Taiwan and has English threads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davcruz View Post
    Curious how the bike was being held when you where twisting on the bearing cup? I have had bearing cups that were too tight to remove with the bike held in a stand clamp but once I put the bike on the floor I had ample ability to break the cups loose, but they still took a good bit of force to loosen. One thing to keep in mind, the BB is under a severe force when riding and think of the force when climbing a steep grade out of the saddle. I doubt you will damage it with the wrench.
    I had it in Park stand clamped to the seat post. I hadn't really thought about the force I was applying in comparison to the force of my 275 lbs stomping down on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    put the wheels on and drop the bike to the ground. use the stand to just hold it upright. Make sure you are turning the cups in the right direction. one is reverse threaded. The cups will not be in with loctite unless somebody did something very stupid. Usually a bit of grease is used or some anti seize compound. Do not heat it up.

If it is stuck in there spray a little bit of penetrating fluid on the threads where they meet the frame.

since that tool has a hole going through it, you can actually run a long bolt or threaded piece of rod through it and sort of clamp it to the other side of the bb and then use a hex wrench to crank on it. this helps if you have the tool slipping off the bb.

So. Calif.
    Threaded BB ? Are you sure you're turning them the correct direction? English threaded BB cups remove opposite the pedal directions.

When standing over the frame, I use the mnemonic "back off" to remember the correct removal direction for pedals.

The BB cups will remove if you turn "forward" while standing over frame.

To keep the BB tool from slipping off hard-to-remove cups, or scratching the cups, wrap a layer of masking tape around the cup.

RoadBikeReview Member
    [QUOTE=tom_h;4561612]Threaded BB ? Are you sure you're turning them the correct direction? English threaded BB cups remove opposite the pedal directions.

When standing over the frame, I use the mnemonic "back off" to remember the correct removal direction for pedals.

The BB cups will remove if you turn "forward" while standing over frame.

To keep the BB tool from slipping off hard-to-remove cups, or scratching the cups, wrap a layer of masking tape around the cup.[Each cup has an arrow showing the direction to tighten. I tried loosening in the opposite direction. Drive side - Clockwise Non Drive side- Counterclockwise.