Request advice with VP-R76 pedal - access to bearings
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Request advice with VP-R76 pedal - access to bearings

So I bought these pedals and noticed how tight and notchy the spindes rotate. There is a cap which would normally be removed to access the spindle nut, but I've dig into the cap with a tiny slot screwdriver and the dang thing won't budge. I'm hesitant to dig harder because the cap is beginning to get chewed up. And if I can't get the spindes to rotate smoothly, I'll probably return them. Obviously I cannot return them if the cap is damaged.

I've looked at the VP paperwork but it gives no hint on cap removal. I've also looked at VP's website and also find no info. Googled it too, but no relative results.

So... if anyone has these pedals and knows if there's some trick to removing the cap, I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

JT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Well, I just heard back from the Ebay seller. He said to use a utility knife and after working the blade around the cap, it came off. Backed the nuts off and they're smooth without any play. All is good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    In my many years bike shop and selling experience, the pedals that feel that way are the reliable loose ball bearing types that come a little tight when new, for the break in period, as after your true break in of continuous riding of 500 -1000 miles will make a big difference in the "break in" with the quality steel rolling surfaces getting rolled in if you will, to make a positive and smoother ball tracks and at same time leaving assembly rolling free but still without bearing play or maybe just a hair of it, so by tampering with the factory adjustment (the techs who did this are aces) you most likely do yourself a dis service by buggering the outer cap to remove it, then going about adjustment. The end result will have you getting premature spindle play, uneven wear, and even a lost outer bearing cap (More wear from dirt infiltration) So leave them be and RIDE THEM IN

'brifter' is a lame word.
    If you hadn't noticed the OP started this thread 5 years ago.
    And no, your advice is not correct. The bearings should be adjusted properly from the start, not over tightened. This will cause extra wear and the balls/races will never fit each other the way they should. You wouldn't 'over tighten' a Shimano or Campy loose ball hub would you? I'd bet the folks that assemble VP pedals on the assembly line in Taiwan make pennies a day and are definitely not what you'd refer to as 'Aces'. They're people doing a job that can make mistakes just like anyone else.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards