Reusing pins when reconnecting/assembling 11-speed chains
    RoadBikeReview Member

Reusing pins when reconnecting/assembling 11-speed chains

I'm not talking about totally removing - as in totally out of the chain - the pin. I'm talking about pushing a pin 80% through, separating the link, then reattaching the chain by pushing that pin back home. I've been doing this forever - going back to the BMX days and thought the 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 speed evolutions.

Rumor has it, that method of pushing that pin back to reattach the chain stopped being okay with the 10-speed chains. Something about the flair on the pin, the pin being shorter, etc.

Was there a significant change in the design from 9 to 10-speed that changed this? Or, is it that it was always less than perfect and it reached a tipping point at the 9-10 change?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I would never ever do this.

Never.

Ever.

What on earth could make it worthwhile?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    I'm thinking he's got a good dental plan now, and is interested in trying it out.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    I should add that I've moved on - I stopped removing/reattaching chains that way. Just wondering when it became such a bad idea... well, that assumes it was ever a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    I should add that I've moved on - I stopped removing/reattaching chains that way. Just wondering when it became such a bad idea... well, that assumes it was ever a good idea.
    I'm thinking like you...right around the time we went to 9 speed. It always seemed to be fine w/ bmx bikes and old 6, 7, and even 8 speed chains where there was a decent amount of pin proud of the plate. That ended w/ either 9 or 10 speed, can't remember exactly when but I seem to remember the Shimano guys saying don't do this anymore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Yup, nope - not on an 11 speed chain.

New pin or a quick link.

I've experienced a chain failure (Wipperman link) and lived to tell about it. It was the second worse experience I've ever had on a bike (#1 is being hit by a car!).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I remember it being a bad idea once Shimano went to the snap off pins last century, which I promptly ignored and after repeatedly pulling chains apart, switched to Sachs and never went back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I too use Wipperman chains on some bikes.
    I have not had the connex link fail while riding but have found one with a crack in it and changed it for a new one. It was an 8-speed model. Big crack from pin to edge.

I noticed it when reconnecting after routine chain maintenance.

I always look at them carefully now and have yet to see another one cracked.

Going on about 10 or more years now using them on several bikes.

Guess sometimes this kind of stuff happens. Glad you were not hurt.

[REDACTED]
    Considering how cheap chain pins are, there's no reason to take the risk. Heck, there's no reason to take the risk anyway.

And from what I understand, you should never break a chain in the same place twice. Is this true?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Banned forever.....or not
    Rumor has it, that method of pushing that pin back to reattach the chain stopped being okay with the 10-speed chains...............................

Actually, that method stopped when 8 speed chains started.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Considering how cheap chain pins are, there's no reason to take the risk. Heck, there's no reason to take the risk anyway.

And from what I understand, you should never break a chain in the same place twice. Is this true?
    Yes, true. If you are using the Shimano pin you should go to another spot on the chain to break it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What's the preferred method - the Wippermann/Powerlink/Quicklink or the break-away pin?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    What's the preferred method - the Wippermann/Powerlink/Quicklink or the break-away pin?
    A quicklink is less much less hassle and lasts just as long. There's really no reason not to use one, and save yourself some time/effort.

I prefer to use some type of link, especially if the chain is on a bike that gets overlubed or really dirty. It's just a bit easier to take the chain off for cleaning. Doesn't really matter, but that's my preference.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'm thinking like you...right around the time we went to 9 speed. It always seemed to be fine w/ bmx bikes and old 6, 7, and even 8 speed chains where there was a decent amount of pin proud of the plate. That ended w/ either 9 or 10 speed, can't remember exactly when but I seem to remember the Shimano guys saying don't do this anymore.
    Yup, it was 9sp. That's when the side plates got too thin and they started making the pins flush. So you couldn't safely push the pins out and back in.

8sp had longer pins so there was some margin for error.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    When I break my 11sp chain, a tiny 'ring' pops off the pin and is left on the punch of my chain tool. It's the flare that was on the side of the pin seated on the punch. I've broken my chain twice, and there are two rings on my chain tool. I noticed them last night; what a coincidence now I see this thread. Anyway, that's enough for me not to try to reuse them.

[REDACTED]
    Yes, true. If you are using the Shimano pin you should go to another spot on the chain to break it.
    Exactly my understanding, thanks!

Now for the big question. Is it ever acceptable to re-use a quick link?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Yup, it was 9sp. That's when the side plates got too thin and they started making the pins flush. So you couldn't safely push the pins out and back in.

8sp had longer pins so there was some margin for error.
    With Campy, it was 10s. But the issue is the same regardless of brand: they started peening the ends of the pins to hold them in place and so reusing a pin wouldn't work.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Now for the big question. Is it ever acceptable to re-use a quick link?
    There are some that are designated as reusable.

Personally, I reuse them (even the non-reusable ones). I've had zero issues.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

^This^

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    A quicklink is less much less hassle and lasts just as long. There's really no reason not to use one, and save yourself some time/effort.
    Spending $10 or so to replace something free is a reason. I'm not that cheap but I'll gladly spend the extra 1 min. for $10.

Although someone in another thread was saying Shimano now includes quick links with new chains, so maybe now there would be no reason.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Spending $10 or so to replace something free is a reason. I'm not that cheap but I'll gladly spend the extra 1 min. for $10.
    Shimano pins aren't free. Topic at hand is re-using pins. If you want to split and re-connect your chain, it's $3.33 a pop.

3 for $10.
    https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Spare...eed+chain+pins

6 for $14 ($1 cheaper than Shimano pins)
    https://www.amazon.com/KMC-Missing-L...ink&th=1&psc=1

[REDACTED]

OK, thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member

^This^
    Me too.
    Too old to ride plastic