Review of the Wippermann Connex Chain Link

Aug 2006

Review of the Wippermann Connex Chain Link

Hi!

For a quick review of Wippermann's Connex Chain link go here;

http://www.elviskennedy.com/page14/files/connex.html

Constructive feedback is welcome. Thanks.

Elvis

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

couple of things...

First, there are two 10 speed versions of this link. One is designed to work with the Campy 10 version of the wipperman chain (marked 10 speed) and the other, a narrower model (marked 10S1) made to work with the shimano compatible version of the wipperman chain. Neither is really intended to function with chains other than wipperman.

Now to the fine details. Both the original Campy 10 chains and the Shimano 10 chain have the same width across the inner plates (.151-152 inch). The Campy 10 version of the 10 speed link is built to fit a wipperman 10 chain, but it also has the same width, so the fit is perfect with any of these three brands. There is NOT more side clearance between the connex link and any other link in the chain. There is about a .005 inch clearance between the outer and inner plates. This is easily verified with feeler gages.

The shimano 10 version of the connex link is about .005 inch narrower than the campy version and will only fit the shimano 10 version of the wipperman chain properly. It is too tight a fit for a Shimano or Campy 10 chain.

Campy has replaced their original 10 speed chain with new ultra narrow (UN) models. The width of this chain, across the inner plates is only .145 inch. The shimano 10 version of the connex link can be used to join this chain, but it will have .002-.003 inch more clearance than it should.

Sep 2005
    Can't wait for the new SRAM chains to start showing up in LBS's. This should be a much more economical option than Wipperman and be a better chain than the Shimano chains.
    csv001

Spin Doctor Cyclewerks Cycling Club
    http://www.sdccycling.com

Jun 2003
    I have been using the Whippermann Shimano 10 speed link for about a season with a dura-ace 10 chain and have not had much luck with it. It works, sort off, but it makes shifting on two of my cogs hesitant. Whenever I replace the link with the dura-ace pin, bingo, shifts fine on my drive train. Done this now with three different chains and two different links. I never had this problem with the 9 speed version on the 9 speed dura-ace drive train. I guess the tolerances are getting more important as the chains become thinner. On a related not, I broke the stainless steel 10 speed Whippermann chain within 700 miles and have not gone back to it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

wrong connex link..

If you've been using the shimano version of the connex link, marked 10S1, then you used the wrong one. It's too narrow. With no side clearance, it won't tolerate any chain angle.

The correct link to use is the Campy 10 version. Although this may seem strange, the "shimano" connex link is NOT made for a shimano chain, it's made for a wipperman chain that's that's shimano compatible. The width across the inner plates is not the same on these two chains.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

SRAM = expensive...

Excel Sports already has the SRAM 10 chain. The top of the line chain costs more than a campy chain. Although the SRAM chain is joined with a connecting link, it's not reusable. Perhaps the price will come down as availability improves.

Don't judge the cost of a chain by it's purchase price. If a more expensive chain lasts longer (typical with campy) then the cost per mile will be less.

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...jor=1&minor=11

chamois creme addict

Campy UN w/Wipperman 10S1

Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    The shimano 10 version of the connex link is about .005 inch narrower than the campy version and will only fit the shimano 10 version of the wipperman chain properly. It is too tight a fit for a Shimano or Campy 10 chain.

Campy has replaced their original 10 speed chain with new ultra narrow (UN) models. The width of this chain, across the inner plates is only .145 inch. The shimano 10 version of the connex link can be used to join this chain, but it will have .002-.003 inch more clearance than it should.
    I'll just add that I have been using the Campy Chorus UN chain with the Wipperman 10S1 link ("Shimano link") on an otherwise Campy 10spd drivetrain for over 7000 km with zero problems. Quiet, shifts well and comes apart for compulsive cleaning. I'm on my second chain/link combo and this is probably my new standard chain setup until something better comes along.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    So, if I have a Campy 10 speed Ultra Narrow chain then I should get the Connex 10S Shimano. Correct?

ScubaD

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've used the Wipperman/Connex links with both Campy Record and Shimano Ultegra chains for more than 4 years and many, many thousands of miles with no problems whatsoever. Using these links promotes better chain wear because they make it much easier to remove and clean your chains. You have to follow the directions carefully, however, because the links will not function properly if installed backwards. It's not hard to do, but you have to do it right or the chain can fail.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

correct...

It's the bet fit you're going to get from a removable link, but it will have .002-.003 more clearance than is ideal. Other posters have reported it works OK. I have one, but decided to use the HD-L pin for the first 2000 miles on the chain, then I'll take it off and alternate with a second new chain. I'll use the connex link the second time I install a partially used chain. I install I expect to get 5-6000 miles from each chain. If only one chain is used for 6000 miles, at least one cog may become too worn to mate with a new chain. Alternating chains avoids this problem and extends cassette life.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    If you've been using the shimano version of the connex link, marked 10S1, then you used the wrong one. It's too narrow. With no side clearance, it won't tolerate any chain angle.

The correct link to use is the Campy 10 version. Although this may seem strange, the "shimano" connex link is NOT made for a shimano chain, it's made for a wipperman chain that's that's shimano compatible. The width across the inner plates is not the same on these two chains.
    This is really interesting because I use the Connex brand 10sp Shimano link on my 105 10sp chain. Itís worked fine since installation over 3k miles ago, but youíre predicting excessive wear due to narrowness of the link. Iím curious to try the Campy Connex link. Iíll pick one up and see if Iíve been oblivious to some hitherto unnoticed shifting problem.

Des

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elviskennedy
    Hi!

For a quick review of Wippermann's Connex Chain link go here;

http://www.elviskennedy.com/page14/files/connex.html

Constructive feedback is welcome. Thanks.

Elvis
    Oh, yeah, Elvis, thanks for the review.

D

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

not excessive wear..

One link won't have necessarily have any effect on wear, but the 10S1 link is too tight a fit and might fail when used at an extreme angle. Like all manufactured items, there are tolerances which may allow one link to fit a bit looser than another. For example, there's no more than .001 inch difference in the width of the inner plates on a Campy 10 chain, but it's too wide for the link to join properly. The link could be installed on an ever so slightly narrower shimano 10 chain, but the normal .005 inch side clearance is not there.

Aug 2006
    Thanks for all of the comments.

After another 250 miles things are still running smoothly. .005 or .001 of clearance nothwithstanding, the connex for Shimano works great on my Shimano 10-speed chain.

Sep 2005
    Just as a quick data point...

I've been running a Campy 10 UN w/ the 10S1 link for about 2000 miles. This afternoon on my commute home, the Connex link failed and wound up lodging in the RD cage. It did not come apart at the make/break portion of the link, but the fixed pin portion of the inside link sheared or otherwise became detached from the plate.

I believe that I had it installed correctly. The chain had been removed, cleaned, lubed, and ridden for approximately 50 miles in the most recent maint cycle. But who knows why it failed... Off to get a new chain and give it another go tomorrow morning.

And approximately 20 minutes after finishing the 'McGyver' session with my chain tool, I ran over a squirrel on the bike. Just not my afternoon I guess. Think I'll stay away from heavy machinery for the rest of the evening just in case.