• 06-14-2020
    DaveG
    1 Attachment(s)
    rim spoke eyelet broke off
    I noticed today that part of the rim eyelet cracked off and is just sliding along the spoke. There are no cracks on the rim. What do you say: keep riding or the wheel is end of life. The wheel is a Mavis Open Pro, 32 butted spokes and Chorus hubs. Its a good 17 years old with maybe 15,000 miles.


    Attachment 328045
  • 06-14-2020
    MDM
    Can you still bring the spoke up to tension? When that happened to me I replaced the rim.
  • 06-14-2020
    DaveG
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MDM View Post
    Can you still bring the spoke up to tension? When that happened to me I replaced the rim.

    The spoke never lost tension. It appears thee rest of the eyelet is still in the rim doing its job. I did a ride on that bike today and nothing bad happened
  • 06-14-2020
    MDM
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    The spoke never lost tension. It appears thee rest of the eyelet is still in the rim doing its job. I did a ride on that bike today and nothing bad happened

    Just ride it then. You might want to glue down or nip off the ring though.
  • 06-14-2020
    GKSki
    rim spoke eyelet broke off
    Seems it doesn't serve a purpose other than cosmetic. It's the other half inside the rim that is supporting the nipple and is in turn held in place by the tensioned spoke.

    If that spoke ever breaks, chance are you'll lose the remaining half of the eyelet inside the rim.

    For cosmetics, I'd super glue it back in place or you may need a little JB Weld.
  • 06-14-2020
    velodog
    I'd probably nip off the ring and ride it.

    Probably a good idea to pull off the tire and tube and rip out the rim tape and have a look at the eyelet under the nipple, see if it's cracked. Worse that would probably happen is you loose the rest of the eyelet and the spoke goes slack, but being a 32 spoke wheel you'll be able to ride home. Maybe even put a drop of oil on it and carry a nipple wrench with you, just in case.

    I just got to add, if you didn't inspect your wheels you wouldn't have this problem.
  • 06-15-2020
    ROAD&DIRT
    Don't know about Mavic specs, but looks to be purely cosmic to me, I would just add a couple drops of Superglue and ride on
  • 06-15-2020
    DaveG
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I'd probably nip off the ring and ride it.

    Probably a good idea to pull off the tire and tube and rip out the rim tape and have a look at the eyelet under the nipple, see if it's cracked. Worse that would probably happen is you loose the rest of the eyelet and the spoke goes slack, but being a 32 spoke wheel you'll be able to ride home. Maybe even put a drop of oil on it and carry a nipple wrench with you, just in case.

    I just got to add, if you didn't inspect your wheels you wouldn't have this problem.

    I clipped off the busted eyelet ring. I always keep on eye on Mavic rims. Over the years I have had 3 Mavis rear rims develop cracks at the eyelets (drive side).
  • 06-16-2020
    GKSki
    Yup. Cracks at the eyelets happened often for me on Open Pros, MA3, etc.

    Have had much better luck with Sun Assaults but they just stopped offering them, plus I probably just jinxed myself.
  • 06-24-2020
    Lombard
    15,000 miles out of a Mavic Open Pro? You are either very slight or very lucky.
  • 06-24-2020
    DaveG
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    15,000 miles out of a Mavic Open Pro? You are either very slight or very lucky.

    These are the longest lasting Open Pros I've owned. I have weighed from 180-195lbs over the period I've owned them so I am no flyweight. All my newer builds have been with DT Swiss rims