rim spoke eyelet broke off
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

I noticed today that part of the rim eyelet cracked off and is just sliding along the spoke. There are no cracks on the rim. What do you say: keep riding or the wheel is end of life. The wheel is a Mavis Open Pro, 32 butted spokes and Chorus hubs. Its a good 17 years old with maybe 15,000 miles.

MAvic_Spoke_Hole_Crop.jpg

MDM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    Can you still bring the spoke up to tension? When that happened to me I replaced the rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MDM View Post
    Can you still bring the spoke up to tension? When that happened to me I replaced the rim.
    The spoke never lost tension. It appears thee rest of the eyelet is still in the rim doing its job. I did a ride on that bike today and nothing bad happened

MDM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    The spoke never lost tension. It appears thee rest of the eyelet is still in the rim doing its job. I did a ride on that bike today and nothing bad happened
    Just ride it then. You might want to glue down or nip off the ring though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014

Seems it doesn't serve a purpose other than cosmetic. It's the other half inside the rim that is supporting the nipple and is in turn held in place by the tensioned spoke.

If that spoke ever breaks, chance are you'll lose the remaining half of the eyelet inside the rim.

For cosmetics, I'd super glue it back in place or you may need a little JB Weld.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd probably nip off the ring and ride it.

Probably a good idea to pull off the tire and tube and rip out the rim tape and have a look at the eyelet under the nipple, see if it's cracked. Worse that would probably happen is you loose the rest of the eyelet and the spoke goes slack, but being a 32 spoke wheel you'll be able to ride home. Maybe even put a drop of oil on it and carry a nipple wrench with you, just in case.

I just got to add, if you didn't inspect your wheels you wouldn't have this problem.
    Too old to ride plastic

Never Give Up!
    Don't know about Mavic specs, but looks to be purely cosmic to me, I would just add a couple drops of Superglue and ride on
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I'd probably nip off the ring and ride it.

Probably a good idea to pull off the tire and tube and rip out the rim tape and have a look at the eyelet under the nipple, see if it's cracked. Worse that would probably happen is you loose the rest of the eyelet and the spoke goes slack, but being a 32 spoke wheel you'll be able to ride home. Maybe even put a drop of oil on it and carry a nipple wrench with you, just in case.

I just got to add, if you didn't inspect your wheels you wouldn't have this problem.
    I clipped off the busted eyelet ring. I always keep on eye on Mavic rims. Over the years I have had 3 Mavis rear rims develop cracks at the eyelets (drive side).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Yup. Cracks at the eyelets happened often for me on Open Pros, MA3, etc.

Have had much better luck with Sun Assaults but they just stopped offering them, plus I probably just jinxed myself.

Banned Sock Puppet
    15,000 miles out of a Mavic Open Pro? You are either very slight or very lucky.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    15,000 miles out of a Mavic Open Pro? You are either very slight or very lucky.
    These are the longest lasting Open Pros I've owned. I have weighed from 180-195lbs over the period I've owned them so I am no flyweight. All my newer builds have been with DT Swiss rims