Rim Tape problems
    RoadBikeReview Member

Rim Tape problems

I got some HED jet wheel last year which came with their yellow rim tape which I decided to use. Earlier this summer on a hot day, mountain descent, in traffic the tape melted into one of the spoke holes and caused a front blowout which almost put me in the ditch at 40mph.

So I pulled that crap out and put in Velox cloth tape which I've used for years on and off without major issues. But lately the velox has been bunching up (lengthwise) on me and causing flats also. I'm not sure if its the shape of the rims or something else.

But anyway is there a better rim tape option that I don't know about? If it matters, I don't run tubeless, I use rim brakes, I typically run my tires at 100psi.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Veloplugs

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Clean the rims with rubbing alcohol or acetone before applying tape.

Still have a problem? Try fiber reinforced strapping tape, which comes in various widths. You can run more than one wrap of the rim if necessary, or overlap the tape if it is not wide enough.

Be careful with Veloplugs-they have limitations on the hole size they fit into.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    The yellow tape was probably Stans and you should use two layers.

If you really generated enough heat to 'melt' it, you have bigger problems. More secure rim tape or plugs might buy you a little time but I would not ride a combination of rims and braking that has proven to melt tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another case supporting disc brakes......
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had not heard of needing two layers of rim tape. Maybe that would have helped. It was an unusual 5000' decent in traffic on a hot day when the tape failed but the consequences could have been severe.

Anyway I ordered some dt swiss tape which seems to have good reviews so we will see. The plugs look.. interesting.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Definitely 2 layers for a road bike especially if you're inflating to 100psi. I'm not a huge fan of Stan's tape but it generally does the job. DT is great. Orange Seal tape is really good as well, 2 layers if not 3 for high pressure like 100psi.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    yea man the yellow Stans tape that came on my Hed rim eventually got ripped at one of the spoke holes too! I was running mainly in the 75-80 psi. And NO! I wasn't descending, it flatted on a freaking flat century ride! I ended up just using electrical tape over that ripped hole and it's been holding up for years!!

And there is no freakin way that heat would cause the tape to melt like that. That tape was just on its last leg. If you could get enough heat to melt the tape like that, I'm pretty damn sure your tire would blow up before the tape got a chance to melt

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I use conti high pressure rim tape.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...tape-rim-strip

I like to pump my road tires to 200 psi, to secretly get a dig at cx! Bam!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    yea man the yellow Stans tape that came on my Hed rim eventually got ripped at one of the spoke holes too! I was running mainly in the 75-80 psi. And NO! I wasn't descending, it flatted on a freaking flat century ride! I ended up just using electrical tape over that ripped hole and it's been holding up for years!!

And there is no freakin way that heat would cause the tape to melt like that. That tape was just on its last leg. If you could get enough heat to melt the tape like that, I'm pretty damn sure your tire would blow up before the tape got a chance to melt
    Could be that this was the order of things, tube blew blowing the tape into the spoke hole.
    Too old to ride plastic