• 11-28-2019
    mml373
    Road Bike Clipless Pedal Suggestions
    I am riding around on vintage Look PP166 clipless pedals, hoping for something that does not have such a large cleat. Sick and tired of slipping around on slick-soled road shoes and slippery, large clips on them.

    Are there any modern road pedals with smaller cleats that click-in quickly, stay secure in a sprint, and allow for easy walking? Surely pedal tech has improved the last 20-30 years and walking around in road shoes and cleats isn't taking one's life in his own hands any longer.

    Thanks in advance.
  • 11-28-2019
    velodog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mml373 View Post
    I am riding around on vintage Look PP166 clipless pedals, hoping for something that does not have such a large cleat. Sick and tired of slipping around on slick-soled road shoes and slippery, large clips on them.

    Are there any modern road pedals with smaller cleats that click-in quickly, stay secure in a sprint, and allow for easy walking? Surely pedal tech has improved the last 20-30 years and walking around in road shoes and cleats isn't taking one's life in his own hands any longer.

    Thanks in advance.

    Where the hell you been, Pitbull Pedals.

    You're welcome.
  • 11-28-2019
    GKSki
    Be careful what you wish for. Some would say the smaller cleats can cause foot issues and power transfer issues. If you liked the old Look delta cleat you may prefer the Look Keo cleats. They even come in a "grip" model that is a bit easier to walk in.
  • 11-28-2019
    bvber
    velodog, you've been bribed. :ciappa:
  • 11-29-2019
    Srode
    SPD pedal cleats are recessed and would be the best choice for walking. Just pair them up with a shoe you like and you're set. I've never had them come unclipped in a sprint.
  • 11-29-2019
    mml373
    Thanks all. I was a cyclist in the late 80s as a kid, then became a runner. The flu shot in 2017 changed all that...all I can do now is bike. No complaints about the old Look pedals I've been using for years, but am tired of sliding around when walking around on slick floors at the bike shop, apartment, etc. They don't know about carpet here in South Florida and plastic "hardwood-look" flooring is slick as you can get. I'll check out the options given...thanks again.

    One question: do the Keo cleats work with the old Look pedals I'm using? Might be a great option for the near term, given price...not to mention my 6 bikes all have old Look pedals... ;-)
  • 11-29-2019
    No Time Toulouse
    I went through this same dilemma a couple of years ago with my 'gravel bike'. I'd been a dedicated Look user for years, but needed something I could walk with. Ended up getting SPD pedals and mountain bike shoes.
  • 11-29-2019
    jetdog9
    Whatever pedals you use, if they are compatible with any sort of rubber cleat cover / boot it's worth the investment. Saves the cleat and makes walking safer/easier.

    I've been on Shimano road pedals forever, got a set of cleat covers and they have lasted forever.
  • 11-29-2019
    velodog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mml373 View Post
    Thanks all. I was a cyclist in the late 80s as a kid, then became a runner. The flu shot in 2017 changed all that...all I can do now is bike. No complaints about the old Look pedals I've been using for years, but am tired of sliding around when walking around on slick floors at the bike shop, apartment, etc. They don't know about carpet here in South Florida and plastic "hardwood-look" flooring is slick as you can get. I'll check out the options given...thanks again.

    One question: do the Keo cleats work with the old Look pedals I'm using? Might be a great option for the near term, given price...not to mention my 6 bikes all have old Look pedals... ;-)

    Keo cleats are too small to work with your pedals. But get yourself a set of cleat covers before you go investing in new pedals, like jetdog9 suggested. I also use them, and not only do they help with traction for walking around, but they stop the wear of the cleats themselves. My right cleat is the only one that ever needs replacing, and that wear comes because that is the foot I unclip when stopping the bike at lights and such, so It doesn't need replacing that often.
  • 11-30-2019
    Lombard
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    SPD pedal cleats are recessed and would be the best choice for walking. Just pair them up with a shoe you like and you're set. I've never had them come unclipped in a sprint.

    ^^^This.^^^ And the whole "power transfer is better with road pedals" is so overblown it's not even funny. Get a pair of SPD mountain shoes with stiff enough soles which transfer power quite well.
  • 11-30-2019
    Kerry Irons
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    My right cleat is the only one that ever needs replacing, and that wear comes because that is the foot I unclip when stopping the bike at lights and such, so It doesn't need replacing that often.

    Pro tip: unclip your left foot and you will be much less likely to get chain tattoos on your leg since. Doesn't fix the cleat wear issue - just moves it to the other foot.

    And cleat covers, cleat covers, cleat covers. Reduced cleat wear and much better walking skills at the mini-mart.
  • 11-30-2019
    No Time Toulouse
    FWIW, it IS possible to modify MTB shoes to fit a Look cleat. Not quick, but it can be done.
  • 11-30-2019
    velodog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Pro tip: unclip your left foot and you will be much less likely to get chain tattoos on your leg since. Doesn't fix the cleat wear issue - just moves it to the other foot.

    And cleat covers, cleat covers, cleat covers. Reduced cleat wear and much better walking skills at the mini-mart.

    Not to be a nay sayer, but my wife unpedals her left foot and is more apt to get the tattoo than I am. She uses quill pedals and toe clips.

    But I agree about the cleat covers.
  • 11-30-2019
    bvber
    Speedplay pedals' been around for a while. Not so popular with road bikers I guess? Yes, you can walk and ride road bike with these without putting cover on / off.

    https://dbyvw4eroffpi.cloudfront.net...lay-chrome.jpg
  • 11-30-2019
    mml373
    I've actually been using SPD mountain bike pedals and cleats, with MTB shoes, on my '85 Allez SE lately. Works well.

    Appreciate the thoughts, folks. Cleat covers sounds like a good first step.
  • 12-06-2019
    rudge66
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mml373 View Post
    Thanks all. I was a cyclist in the late 80s as a kid, then became a runner. The flu shot in 2017 changed all that...all I can do now is bike. ... ;-)

    Hmm .. the Flu Shot ? You know your not allowed to talk about that . Careful, they are listening .

    Re: cleat preference ; Iíve no gripes about full blown road shoes, or the cleat.
    For me , they far out perform SPD .

    When I ride, Iím not walking around for hours as part of the activity.

    And yes, The PittBull are the ticket .
  • 12-07-2019
    duriel
    Just get one set of good SPD pedals & shoes. It takes 2 min to change out the pedals on a bike. There, just saved you $600 & $2500 for a trip trip to the ER when you fall and break your elbow in the coffee shop.
  • 12-07-2019
    Jay Strongbow
    Shimano road cleats are definitely 'good enough' for convenience stores and stuff like that.
    For stuff like uneven hard surfaces not so great but that has as much to do with the shoe as the cleat I think. It's generally the smooth carbon surface of my shoes that's slipping on the ground not the cleat.

    I've never used Look but most people I know use cleat covers with them. no one I know sees a need for cleat covers with shimano. So that probably says something.

    Definitely go mountain biking system is walking is a priority though. But again shoe surface plays a role here too. My mtn bike shoes (that I used for gravel/trails) have a lot of rubber on the bottom so are pretty much like a street shoe grip wise but I don't think they all are.