Road Bike Equivalent to Shimano PDM535 Clipless Pedal?

Sep 2005

Road Bike Equivalent to Shimano PDM535 Clipless Pedal?

I recently began road riding and have been experiencing knee pain with the Speedplay X/1 Titanium clipless pedals on my Trek Pilot 5.2. I think it's because the X/1's unlimited float allow my knee to over rotate at times putting strain on my tendons.

I have used Shimano PD-M535 clipless pedals on my mountain bike for years without any problems and I am trying to find the equivalent (i.e. with the same range of float adjustment) in a road bike version.

I have been out to the Shimano site, however, they do not appear to list the float for their pedals. Can anyone tell me what the road bike equivalent to the Shimano PD-M535 pedals is? Thanks!

Jan 2005
    Can anyone tell me what the road bike equivalent to the Shimano PD-M535 pedals is? Thanks!

What is wrong with using MTn bike pedals on a road bike? Works just fine. I think Shimano
    SPD's are great.

Sep 2005

Differences between mtn and road pedals

Quote Originally Posted by Road cyclist
    Can anyone tell me what the road bike equivalent to the Shimano PD-M535 pedals is? Thanks!

What is wrong with using MTn bike pedals on a road bike? Works just fine. I think Shimano
    SPD's are great.
    Here's some information I found on the web regarding the differences between mtn and road bike pedals:

Clipless road pedals differs from conventional clipless pedals in several ways:

Many road pedals are “one sided” (they only engage on one side). This is done to maximize clearance and weight.
    Their high clearance helps riders minimize the chance of grinding the pedal on the ground when pedalling through sharp turns. If you've experienced the sensation of “bottoming out,” you'll know that at best, you'll scare the heck out of yourself; at worst, you'll take a really fall.
    They are also designed to keep the foot as close as possible to the spindle. This is called the stack height. As a general rule, the lower the stack height, the better.
    Finally, since road rides tend to last much longer than mountain bike rides, you may want to consider a pedal with ample float. This can enhance your riding comfort, and reduce strain on your joints.

NeoRetroGrouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream
    I recently began road riding and have been experiencing knee pain with the Speedplay X/1 Titanium clipless pedals on my Trek Pilot 5.2. I think it's because the X/1's unlimited float allow my knee to over rotate at times putting strain on my tendons.

I have used Shimano PD-M535 clipless pedals on my mountain bike for years without any problems and I am trying to find the equivalent (i.e. with the same range of float adjustment) in a road bike version.

I have been out to the Shimano site, however, they do not appear to list the float for their pedals. Can anyone tell me what the road bike equivalent to the Shimano PD-M535 pedals is? Thanks!
    I would put 535s on your road bike and be sure it is the pedals. - TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

Sep 2005

RE: I would put 535s on your road bike

Good thinking... thanks!

fmw

Sep 2005
    The major difference between the two systems is not so much the pedals but the shoes. Road shoes aren't designed for walking and therefore have stiff soles to provide a better platform for pedalling. Mountain shoes don't have the stiff soles but they are certainly better for walking. If you don't need to walk in them, road pedals are noticeably more efficient.

Shimano road pedals have no float to my knowledge. The float champion in the road pedal world is probably speedplay. Look pedals also provide some float, the amount of which is determined by the model of cleat used. There are others with float as well. These are just two systems I use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    "Shimano road pedals have no float to my knowledge.[...] Look pedals also provide some float, the amount of which is determined by the model of cleat used...."

Correcting your knowledge: current Shimano SPD-SL road pedals work much like Looks, in that the float is in the cleat. Yellow-tipped cleats allow several degrees of free-float, as the cleat tongue is narrower than the slot it engages; red-tipped almost none, with their wider tongue.

Tom
    SPD-SL user (7800 & R600), red-tips

Sep 2005

re: Correcting your knowledge:

Quote Originally Posted by austex
    "Shimano road pedals have no float to my knowledge.[...] Look pedals also provide some float, the amount of which is determined by the of cleat used...."

Correcting your knowledge: current Shimano SPD-SL road pedals work much like Looks, in that the float is in the cleat. Yellow-tipped cleats allow several degrees of free-float, as the cleat tongue is narrower than the slot it engages; red-tipped almost none, with their wider tongue.

Tom

Thanks Tom... how do you like your R-600's? Did they come with the yellow or the red tips standard? Do you know how much float the yellow tips have in the cleat. My SPD's have 6 degrees which I gather is standard for Shimano mtn and road pedals.

fmw

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by austex
    "Shimano road pedals have no float to my knowledge.[...] Look pedals also provide some float, the amount of which is determined by the model of cleat used...."

Tom
    Thanks for the correction. I've never used Shimano pedals but I do have a pair of Shimano shoes. Take care.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks Tom... how do you like your R-600's? Did they come with the yellow or the red tips standard? Do you know how much float the yellow tips have in the cleat. My SPD's have 6 degrees which I gather is standard for Shimano mtn and road pedals.

The Ultegra PD-R600 (now superceded by the essentially identical PD-6600) is the first clipless pedal I have ever used, following 35 years of toe-clips/straps/slotted cleats. I like them quite a lot, though no comparative clipless reference points. They came standard with float cleats, with reported 6-degrees of lateral float, though I only managed one or two rides before swapping to the fixed cleats - just couldn't abide the "standing on an ice-cube" feel. And the "fixed" cleats do have a slight bit of lateral flex before release - but it is spring-damped flex, not unimpeded float. I keep the release tension at minimum and have never released unintentionally. I have 2 sets of R600 and 2 sets of DuraAce PD-7800 among my active rides.

HANK
    Jan 2002

535s

Put the 535s on. I have about 10,000 road miles on 535s. I like the two sided entry for engaging at stop lights etc. Unless you are a real serious rider/racer I don't think that cornering clearance is an issue.