RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

road disc brake pad and rotor life span?

So I ride in the hills, typical ride is 40 miles with 3000' up and down. I weigh 155 lbs. Got a new bike with ultegra disc brakes, really nice. After only 700 miles,LBS says front pads are almost shot, $30, rotor, $70, is also close to replacement. Seems like not much riding to me. I have been descending slowly due to wet roads and debris etc. Any feedback on how "typical" mileage on these parts?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by deadleg View Post
    So I ride in the hills, typical ride is 40 miles with 3000' up and down. I weigh 155 lbs. Got a new bike with ultegra disc brakes, really nice. After only 700 miles,LBS says front pads are almost shot, $30, rotor, $70, is also close to replacement. Seems like not much riding to me. I have been descending slowly due to wet roads and debris etc. Any feedback on how "typical" mileage on these parts?
    For you, in those conditions, this is 'typical'. If you're descending slowly you're on the brakes a bunch. If it's wet you're going to wear stuff out very quickly. You could easily go through the summer on a single rotor and set of pads. I've seen cross racers completely wear out pads in a 1 hour race.
    There is no 'typical' in the normal sense of the work...as Kerry Irons likes to ask 'how long is a piece of string?'
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm slightly surprised about the pads and very surprised about the rotor. Riding style/technique is different for everybody to a differing degrees, but I have just over 29,000 miles on my road bike, with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, purchased new. My average is 61'/mile and my pads last at least a couple of thousand miles and usually a lot more. My rear rotor was replaced at about 15,000 miles and my front is just now due to be replaced at 29,301 miles. My on bike weight is between 190-215 depending on time of year and what I'm carrying.

Hope the comparison is of some help, but, as I said, everybody is different.

Rub it............
    Not surprised on the pads, but a little concerned about rotor wear at only 700 miles. You would have to be either riding the brakes to glaze them to the point of replacement or some serious braking to wear out a rotor.

But as mentioned before "How long is a piece of string?"
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by deadleg View Post
    The wet roads and debris are the giveaway. You can wear brake pads (whether rim or disc) very quickly. With rim brakes, you find concave brake tracks and with disc brakes you find worn rotors.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Get a better road to ride on!
    BANNED