road disc rubbing while climbing?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

road disc rubbing while climbing?

So I have a new bike (trek) with ultegra disc brakes, through axle wheels. When I am standing up torquing the pedals, it sounds like the rotor is rubbing on the pads. Similar to when after hard braking, the brakes are releasing, re-centering. Is this normal/common? Need adjustment somehow? I suffer enough on the climbs, don't need my brakes rubbing!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    The rubbing...unless severe...isn't slowing you down enough to notice. That said your brakes need adjusting, which might include resetting the pistons.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Not sayin' a thing...
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    Not sayin' a thing...
    you live for moments like this, pass the popcorn baby

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by deadleg View Post
    So I have a new bike (trek) with ultegra disc brakes, through axle wheels. When I am standing up torquing the pedals, it sounds like the rotor is rubbing on the pads. Similar to when after hard braking, the brakes are releasing, re-centering. Is this normal/common? Need adjustment somehow? I suffer enough on the climbs, don't need my brakes rubbing!
    Have you tried the new Shimano earplugs when climbing?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    The rubbing...unless severe...isn't slowing you down enough to notice. That said your brakes need adjusting, which might include resetting the pistons.
    I'm coming to the conclusion that the industry will never be able to perfect the disc system in this regard. After 2 decades of disc implementation on mtb, after going to thru axel on road, there is nothing much left to improve at this point. (Well they could try to coat the cylinder and piston with some slick coating like "kashima" but I reckon that's cost prohibitive. At this point, people should learn to embrace a little rubbing noise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Just get a Park piston spreader.
    Reseat the pistons, reinstall the wheel. Squeeze brake lever a few times. All done.

If you adjust the caliper by moving it you end up moving it off center more n more. Best to keep it centeted. If it was installed properly first it should be centered over rotor and nice n square to it.

If caliper is mounted square to rotor you will have plenty of rotor clearance.

Have a number of disk bikes. No rubbing standing.

Watch build up, accumulation of brake dust if you use resin pads. They wear fast and the build up on pistons happens fairly quickly. A blast of compressed air after a long ride will produce a cloud of dust. Cleaning before resetting pistons is a good idea.

Good luck
    Last edited by stevoo; 02-08-2019 at 10:03 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks stevoo, I will try that

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    How do you center the caliper when it moves when you carefully tighten down the bolts? This happens on my bike when I squeeze the brake lever when tightening. I finally just held the caliper and eyeballed the gap when tightening.

Isn't rotor rubbing caused by flexing frame or hub? I mean, it doesn't rub when you pick up the front or back of the bike and spin the wheel and there's daylight between the pads and rotor.

[REDACTED]
    I have a disc brake gravel bike and have no trouble with rubbing, not even on hard climbs.

If your disc brakes rub:

1) As CXWrench said, they may need to be adjusted - pistons reset. Keep in mind that if you take your front wheel off to load your bike in the car and the brake lever is accidentally pulled, you will need to reset your calipers. Ask me how I know.

Or:

2) One of your rotors may be slightly warped and need straightening. It happens.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    As Lombard mentioned, the rotor itself could have a slight bend which is more common than you think as bike rotors are thin. If you only hear it at a certain point in the revolution, you can use the Park Tool Rotor Truing Fork and Guage, if you have access to one, to re-true the rotor.

But, do what the others mentioned first - resetting the pistons and making sure the caliper is aligned correctly to the rotor.
    Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com