Tourist

Road Front Ders with wide chainline?

I've been using mtb cranksets with smaller chainrings on my road bike. This summer I crossed Europe with the FSA Afterburner with 42/30, now using Sram XX with 42/28. The problem is to find a front derailleur that will clear the crankset, since the mtb crankset chainline is wider than road, and I am using Shimano STI shifters (from 11spd, but it doesn't matter). Searching about this online, I read that mtb front ders won't work with road drop shifters because the cable pull is too different from road derailleurs.

So far I've been using a Sram Rival front derailleur. But it doesn't reach far enough, so to make it work I'm putting the 5mm of crankset spacers for the 68/73mm BB difference, on the non-driveside. It works fine, but now my crankset alignment is off to the left. If I make it symmetrical with 2.5/2.5 on each side, the front der doesn't reach the big chainring. So here is the question: are there road front derailleurs that would reach farther out than the Sram Rival (10spd series) that I am using now? Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    As far as I know you won't find what you are looking for. That is main difference between road and MTB front derailleur. I think better approach is to find MTB fd that will work with your shifters and chainrings combo.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Ante Smokrovic

2009 De Rosa Neo Pro - Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Campalongo, Falzarego, Valparola, San Pellegrino, Valles, Staulanza, Vršič, Mangart, Furcia...

2003 De Rosa Team - Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo, Bonette, Agnel, Izoard, Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, San Pellegrino, Staulanza, Manghen, Vršič, Učka, Mangart, Biokovo, Eisentalhöhe, Schonfeld, Schiestelscharte, Flattnitz...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    I've been using mtb cranksets with smaller chainrings on my road bike. This summer I crossed Europe with the FSA Afterburner with 42/30, now using Sram XX with 42/28. The problem is to find a front derailleur that will clear the crankset, since the mtb crankset chainline is wider than road, and I am using Shimano STI shifters (from 11spd, but it doesn't matter). Searching about this online, I read that mtb front ders won't work with road drop shifters because the cable pull is too different from road derailleurs.

So far I've been using a Sram Rival front derailleur. But it doesn't reach far enough, so to make it work I'm putting the 5mm of crankset spacers for the 68/73mm BB difference, on the non-driveside. It works fine, but now my crankset alignment is off to the left. If I make it symmetrical with 2.5/2.5 on each side, the front der doesn't reach the big chainring. So here is the question: are there road front derailleurs that would reach farther out than the Sram Rival (10spd series) that I am using now? Thanks
    Not sure what crank you are running, but this might be an option to eliminate the spacers:
    https://youtu.be/2Xd24uac4hM
    I run no spacers on my 68mm BB, pedals are perfectly centered.

I run 9sp MTB FD with 10sp bar end shifters (Retroshift) on my cross bike and that works great. I did have to do a little massaging of the FD mechanism to get it to shift the triple crank set I run, especially to pull in close enough for the inner ring. My front shifter is only indexed in the center, so that lines up with the middle ring. I haven't tried anything in the 11sp world yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A new road crankset?

This IRD reads like it may be a road crank that can be had in the same 42\28 that you're running.

https://store.interlocracing.com/loacr.html

Or this, pricier Compass, which is 42\26. This one has the added cost of needing a square taper BB.

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...double-cranks/
    Too old to ride plastic

Tourist

Thanks guys

Whoa this is very helpful. Roger's solution of shortening the crankset splines is a good idea. And the IRD crankset is one I hadn't seen in my searches.

Meanwhile, here is what I found: a front derailleur adapter with wide spacing! Basically the hole is 2.5mm farther out than with a regular adapter. Of course it throws the chainline 2.5mm farther out toward the small cassette cogs, but this is fine for me - as I am using small chainrings, I am also using more often the small cassette rings than I used to do. And since the cassette is a monster 11-40, I typically don't need to use the largest 2-3 cogs, except for the steepest of the steepest of mountains, so most of the time the chainline is not too bad either in the small chainring.

Things would be much more simple if Shimano was making cranksets designed for normal people, not only for super-powerful pro racers.
    Attached Images Attached Images