Rolf Vector Pro broke - What Next?

Jun 2002

Rolf Vector Pro broke - What Next?

Broke a spoke on my rear vector pro. Wheels have three years Winter/Summer here in Boston and are my only wheelset. They were still nearly true, quite a feat considering I am 200lbs and don't tend to avoid the potholes. I've been happy with the wheelset, even though others would havew told me they would have failed instantly.

The rear hub has also been acting up prior to this. It is a Hugi hub and supposed to be better than recovered technology from UFO's but I think it has had too much salt and rain. The metal grooves that hold the cassette are also heavily grooved.

In short, it's time for a new wheelset. A coupe questions.

1. I plan to have the spoke replaced and turn these into winter/spring wheels. Anything I should do to ensure the other spokes don't break immediately?

2. I have had great luck with these pre-built wheels. I also have been advised by some to have wheels built. Others say that most hand built wheels are more maintenance- I would rather have three years of no maintenance than 9 years of constant maintenance. Should I go with a set of Kysiriums (like everyone else around here) or have a wheelset built? Opinions on good components and shops for this are welcome.

I'm planning to add a second bike this winter, a Serotta, and this wheelset will be used on that bike.

Thanks for your advice.

May 2002

Here I go again...

I would try Mike at www.oddsandendos.com I just recently purchased a set from him and they are awesome. I got the DT swiss rims with his speedcific hubs. When they came in there was a problem with the rear hub but he was fast to send out a new one. He even sent me stamps to send the bad one back and a luna bar. Give him a call and see what he can do. My set was $325 complete with shipping. He is a great guy but make sure you have a lot of time if you call because he likes to talk.

Jun 2002

Thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by bikefreax
    I would try Mike at www.oddsandendos.com I just recently purchased a set from him and they are awesome. I got the DT swiss rims with his speedcific hubs. When they came in there was a problem with the rear hub but he was fast to send out a new one. He even sent me stamps to send the bad one back and a luna bar. Give him a call and see what he can do. My set was $325 complete with shipping. He is a great guy but make sure you have a lot of time if you call because he likes to talk.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I would rather give the business to a LBS but my big concern is build quality. I know that you need to build a lot of wheels in order to build them well and I don't know who whould be building them at Belmont Wheelworks or Cycle Loft (the two shops I frequent)