roller tire - recommendations?
    O2bfasterstrongerbetter

roller tire - recommendations?

Hey does anyone have a good recommendation for a good roller tire.

The issues under consideration.

a) Loud, loud, loud - I've yet to find a relatively quiet tire (granted I haven't tried many). Mich Pro Race (left over from summer season) are squeaky... soft rubber maybe. Conti GP's vibrate/humm due to the tread pattern. Something totally slick with hard rubber maybe.

b) Wear- I'd like something that will last.

c) Cheap - no reason to spend money on roller tires. Wire bead is fine.

d) Weight - could care less ... actually the heavier the better probably since that will due more to keep me in shape, but I really don't care. Wire bead is obviously fine here as well.

e) Narrow - High Pressure - I don't think I want anything larger than 23 mm since I like keeping the pressure up as high as possible on the rollers. Drives me nuts when it starts getting bouncy with softer tires. I reallize this probably has something to do with technique, but I'm not going to worry about that.

So anyone have any recommendations for a quiet, smooth, cheap, durable tire?
    Good place to get them online ... since I've tried every bike shop in Boston practically and no one stocks any slick, cheap, wire bead tires?
    "Words are a heavy thing...they weigh you down. If birds talked, they couldn't fly." Sy Rosen and Christian Williams, Northern Exposure, On Your Own, 1992

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Any one will work

Any tire is fine. Unlike trainers, there are no special demands on roller tires. As to your bouncing, it is a technique issue but also a tire size and pressure issue. You're confused about needing higher pressure to prevent it. A wider tire at lower pressure will work just as well. Any tire, when the pressure is too low FOR THAT TIRE will have the problem. It's all about having enough pressure in a given tire to support the rider, just like on the road.

O2bfasterstrongerbetter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    Any tire is fine. Unlike trainers, there are no special demands on roller tires. As to your bouncing, it is a technique issue but also a tire size and pressure issue. You're confused about needing higher pressure to prevent it. A wider tire at lower pressure will work just as well. Any tire, when the pressure is too low FOR THAT TIRE will have the problem. It's all about having enough pressure in a given tire to support the rider, just like on the road.
    Fine what about the rest of my issues.

I reallize any tire will "work" I'm not that ignorant. I need something slick (no tread) so it's quiet but that doesn't squeak like the Pro Race's do. Cheap and durable as well.

I'm looking for brand and model names here ... not just ... any tire will work ...
    "Words are a heavy thing...they weigh you down. If birds talked, they couldn't fly." Sy Rosen and Christian Williams, Northern Exposure, On Your Own, 1992

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

Pro Race

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    ...Mich Pro Race (left over from summer season) are squeaky... soft rubber maybe...
    Hmmm, I run my old worn out Pro Races without the noise you refer to. Perhaps the first ride or two of the winter is squeaky but then the tires get that shiny sheen to them and it goes away. I also run them at 8 bars on the 3" rollers. I have had awful experiences with the Pro Races on the trainer as they spit rubber all over and disentigrate although most my winter training is on the rollers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    ...Narrow - High Pressure - I don't think I want anything larger than 23 mm since I like keeping the pressure up as high as possible on the rollers. Drives me nuts when it starts getting bouncy with softer tires. I reallize this probably has something to do with technique, but I'm not going to worry about that....
    You can run tires well above there stated pressure. Regulary done with 25+ size tires in the tandem community. Are you sure the bounce is not from your rims? Pop them in the truing stand. I had a rear wheel that had a flat spot in the rim (i.e. slight eliptical shape) and it would bounce if ridden on the rollers but I would not notice it on the road.

O2bfasterstrongerbetter
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeping up with Junior
    Hmmm, I run my old worn out Pro Races without the noise you refer to. Perhaps the first ride or two of the winter is squeaky but then the tires get that shiny sheen to them and it goes away. I also run them at 8 bars on the 3" rollers. I have had awful experiences with the Pro Races on the trainer as they spit rubber all over and disentigrate although most my winter training is on the rollers.
    Yeah ... maybe I need to clean my rollers with some alcohol as well. I noticed that when I ride right on the hairy edge of going off the side they are much quieter. Yeah I've had similar expereinces with the PR's on my Fluid 2 trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeping up with Junior
    You can run tires well above there stated pressure. Regulary done with 25+ size tires in the tandem community. Are you sure the bounce is not from your rims? Pop them in the truing stand. I had a rear wheel that had a flat spot in the rim (i.e. slight eliptical shape) and it would bounce if ridden on the rollers but I would not notice it on the road.
    Well the bounce pretty much goes away when I have the tire pressure maxed out on 23 mm tires (120 psi) or when I concentrate incredibly hard and ride as smooth as possible. This gets mentally fatriguing after about 5 minutes though. I much prefer to zone out on the rollers or else the seconds just tick by at a painful pace.

Jun 1999

Gatorskins

Conti Gatorskins work great and last a long time.

Alternatively, use your old tires that are cut or nearly worn out and ride them until the rubber is gone on rollers or trainer.

Buy a cheap $59 spare wheel (or two) to use solely for the trainer or rollers. Will pay for themselves eventually in not using up good tires.

BBJ

Jun 2004
    I second the vote for Gatorskins. They saved my good Conti's. I am currently looking for a spare wheel for cheap to use for this very purpose. The Gatorskins are smooth and quiet on my trainer.

RoadBikeReview Member

Specialized Mondo

I've used these with some sucess on rollers and a trainer. Smooth tread, lots of rubber in the center. The wire bead ones are pretty cheap.

Brooks K.