Rotor 3D vs FSA SLK Light crankset
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

Rotor 3D vs FSA SLK Light crankset

I was wondering if anyone had a strong opinion on either of these two cranksets. They are the two options available on a Cervelo R3 (BB Right cranks).

I'm a very caustic sweater... which has me leaning towards the FSAs as they are carbon. Anyone know how well the Rotors hold up in that regard?

I'm assuming both are similarly stiff?

Thanks!
    Dave

A Midwesterner In Europe
    Mar 2005
    Rotor 3D.

I've ridden both but tend to be biased against FSA, I'm not sure I have a good reason other than my own personal experience. I've had issues with FSA shifting quality, but that was years ago, their new stuff seems to work fantastic.

They are both stiff and have great shifting qualities. I have the same sweating issue but I ride aluminum cranks and have never had an issue.

I'm not sure of the weight/price between the two but that also might be something to consider.

I like the Rotor cranks mainly because they are new and something different.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I have an SLK light crankset. I find that it shifts very well and I'm very happy with it. The best thing about these cranks is that they can be found relatively little money.

The only downside that I've noticed is that the clear coat on the crank arm seems to have chipped a little after I dropped the chain once.

Quote Originally Posted by djdube525 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had a strong opinion on either of these two cranksets. They are the two options available on a Cervelo R3 (BB Right cranks).

I'm a very caustic sweater... which has me leaning towards the FSAs as they are carbon. Anyone know how well the Rotors hold up in that regard?

I'm assuming both are similarly stiff?

Thanks!
    Dave

Happily absent RBR Member
    Having worked on a bunch and broken parts on a few, I don't think the Rotor products are very well designed or executed. They have fragile small parts and require a close reading of the manual every time you work on them - plus they don't shift all that wonderfully.

I'm no big FSA fan, but the SLK Light is a good looking, light and easy to work on crankset. I have not heard a complaint about that model, and one of the shop employees uses them on his Cervelo. They would be my choice of the two.

As far as caustic sweat goes, I would worry more about this with a carbon crank because of galvanic problems between the aluminum pedal insert and the carbon arm. But is that really an issue down at the crank?
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    As far as caustic sweat goes, I would worry more about this with a carbon crank because of galvanic problems between the aluminum pedal insert and the carbon arm. But is that really an issue down at the crank?
    You should see my dura-ace crank arms on my older bike - granted it was over the course of half a dozen years, but just plain nasty (I should wipe my bike down after every ride). The heat and humidity of the south make me sweat like a pig.