Run cables on new frame before installing Bottm bracket?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015

Run cables on new frame before installing Bottm bracket?

Hello,

Doing a new build on a Giant TCR 2018. My first with internal routing. Is it advisable to run the cable before installing the BB? or better to install the BB first so as to ensure it doesn't snag on a cable?

thanks,
    Ken

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloKilo7 View Post
    Hello,

Doing a new build on a Giant TCR 2018. My first with internal routing. Is it advisable to run the cable before installing the BB? or better to install the BB first so as to ensure it doesn't snag on a cable?

thanks,
    Ken
    all of my frames have a plate/guide for the cables around the bottom bracket so doesn't matter which you do first. For Di2 it matters if the BB hole is hollow to the inside of the frame in which case you want to run the Di2 wires first including the lower junction box. My BH, RLT 9 and Domane are all this way, but my RLT 9 RDO is not.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Also, the Giant TCR frameset shipped with FD/RD cable ports attached with cable sheaths (1 for FD and 1 for RD). Do you leave in the cable sheath that runs in the downtube and then through the cable guide in the BB? Or is this just used for initial cable navigation/installation and then removed? I saw one video that seemed to indicate the cable sheaths are left in, but another that shows them being removed after threading the cable...

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloKilo7 View Post
    Do you leave in the cable sheath that runs in the downtube and then through the cable guide in the BB?
    Yes! You can pat yourself on the back when replace the cables next year.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    I've never left the liners in, not once. You run the cables through them, then remove. When you replace cables you run the liners that you kept up the cables, then pull the cables, then replace. I work at a Trek store but we've built pretty much everything. Liners don't stay in the frame the vast majority of the time.
    #promechaniclife

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I've never left the liners in, not once. You run the cables through them, then remove. When you replace cables you run the liners that you kept up the cables, then pull the cables, then replace. I work at a Trek store but we've built pretty much everything. Liners don't stay in the frame the vast majority of the time.
    Do they EVER stay in the frame? I would think all that does is add friction.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    I'm getting ready to build a Chinese carbon frame that will be shipped with these white frame liners and I have been wondering for some time now the correct method to do this. Thank you for the post.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Can you link the video please that you're referring too? Thanks

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    You don't need a video. Push the cables down the liners. Remove the liners. Save the liners for future use. Finish bike build.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Thank you that helped me quite a bit. Stay safe and healthy.