Running 11 Speed Cassette on a 10 Speed Groupset?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019

Running 11 Speed Cassette on a 10 Speed Groupset?

TLDR: Is it possible to remove a cog from a 11 speed cassette, then shim the remaining cogs til the spacing is correct for a 10 speed groupset?

Hi guys, I was considering posting this on the Save some weight subforum but felt it was better suited here.

Background:

As a broke college student, I'm currently exploring weight savings on a budget. I've currently got a full chinese carbon bike with a tiagra 4700 groupset. I know, Tiagra isn't what you'd usually go to for weightsavings, but considering the fact that if you exclude the crankset and BB, the more expensive 105 is barely 85g/0.2lbs lighter, I found it to be a pretty good deal. I've bought it as a partial group, and added a SRAM force carbon crank to it which weighs ~10g more than an ultegra crank.

However, another tiagra part that's always bugged me as too heavy has been the cassette. At 10 speeds, the stock cassette weighs a whopping 350g/0.8lbs. I've found this nice and cheap ZTTO 11-28t cassette that weighs only 208g, but the catch is that it's 11 speed.

Therefore I was wondering if anyone's ever tried removing a cog from an 11 speed cassette, and then shimming the remaining cogs until the spacing's correct.

Rub it............
    How about trying to find a Sram 10 speed cassette? Like the PG1070 or the Sram Red?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Have u considered that u don't use your little fingers or toes much?

... and u're teeth are pretty much useless if you just eat soup?
    BANNED

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like ridiculous lengths to go through to save 140g. Sure it's maybe possible. But no such shim exists. And you're a broke college student. How much do you think custom made cog spacers will cost you? How many grams will your spacers add?

You could just buy an Ultegra CS-6700 11-28 10-speed cassette at 230 g.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by hihihi8 View Post
    TLDR: Is it possible to remove a cog from a 11 speed cassette, then shim the remaining cogs til the spacing is correct for a 10 speed groupset?

Hi guys, I was considering posting this on the Save some weight subforum but felt it was better suited here.

Background:

As a broke college student, I'm currently exploring weight savings on a budget. I've currently got a full chinese carbon bike with a tiagra 4700 groupset. I know, Tiagra isn't what you'd usually go to for weightsavings, but considering the fact that if you exclude the crankset and BB, the more expensive 105 is barely 85g/0.2lbs lighter, I found it to be a pretty good deal. I've bought it as a partial group, and added a SRAM force carbon crank to it which weighs ~10g more than an ultegra crank.

However, another tiagra part that's always bugged me as too heavy has been the cassette. At 10 speeds, the stock cassette weighs a whopping 350g/0.8lbs. I've found this nice and cheap ZTTO 11-28t cassette that weighs only 208g, but the catch is that it's 11 speed.

Therefore I was wondering if anyone's ever tried removing a cog from an 11 speed cassette, and then shimming the remaining cogs until the spacing's correct.
    No. That's stupid and experience has taught me to not do stupid things. Where will you get the shims? They don't exist so you'd have to make them. Cycling isn't always cheap, you must be able to pay to play as they say. Get an Ultegra or 105 10 speed cassette and ride your bike. You'll only notice the weight when you pick the bike up to hang it on the wall, never when you're riding.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Do you think you'll even be able to perceive 140 grams less weight? Try going to the bathroom before you ride. Or pour out 1/3 of your water bottle. Maybe shave your head?

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Keep in mind the ZTTO 11-28t cassette that weighs 208 grams has some some aluminum cogs (in addition to steel cogs) to keep the weight low. These will wear out very FAST. The all-steel version weighs about the same as a 105 cassette.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Or pour out 1/3 of your water bottle.
    Assuming you have a 15 oz water bottle. 140 gm saved will make you .025 mph faster on a 6% grade climb. Stunning.