A saddle to dye for?

Printable View

• 01-04-2020
    Opus51569
    2 Attachment(s)
    A saddle to dye for?
    I had a Brooks B17 in Honey Brown. I liked the saddle, but it didn't really go with either of my current bikes. I have been eyeing the B17 in red, but I didn't really want to spend another $100+ just for a different color saddle. So, I consulted the interwebz about the feasibility of dyeing the leather.

The process proved to be pretty straight-forward. First, I stripped the old finish using finger-nail polish remover. You can use regular acetone as well if you have any on hand. It takes a fair amount of elbow grease. I also used some 220 grit sandpaper to help knock off the top coat. Once the saddle was stripped, I bought a bottle of Fiebing's Pro leather dye in red. It was $8. Two coats of dye. A day to dry. A bit of Proofide and more elbow grease and this is the result. It's a bit darker than I had hoped. More of a burgundy or maroon as opposed to the brighter red I was looking for, but overall I like it. We'll see how color-fast the dye is once I get a few rides in.

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/at...d=326687&stc=1
    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/at...d=326689&stc=1
  • 01-04-2020
    JSR
    It looks great!

Obviously it wonít be quite as fast as bright red, but thatís not the point of a Brooks saddle, is it?
  • 01-04-2020
    Opus51569
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    It looks great!

Obviously it wonít be quite as fast as bright red, but thatís not the point of a Brooks saddle, is it?

True. I haven't had the need for a go-fast saddle, red or otherwise, for quite a few years. :)
  • 01-04-2020
    No Time Toulouse
    I may try that on an old B17N I have laying around.

Those who are about to dye salute you!
  • 01-07-2020
    rlh3122
    Looks the color of my honey- brown brooks with 10 years of sweat baked in. :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
  • 01-07-2020
    Opus51569
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rlh3122 View Post
    Looks the color of my honey- brown brooks with 10 years of sweat baked in. :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If that's the color or your butt sweat, you should consult a physician... :)