Saddle for prostate problems
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

Saddle for prostate problems

A few months ago I asked about saddles for prostate problems here after I was diagnosed with cancer in that area. The suggestions were many. I tried a Koobi that was suggested after surgery. I found it hard and it did not relieve the pain. I subsequently had a second surgery to fix something that wasn't healing right and causing lots of pain. I also had my LBS do some research. Their bike fitting expert is a triathlete who knew about the Blackwell Research Adamo. It has a wide sit area with a gel section. The rest is foam. The horn is split completely in two parts with a wide area in between. It is extraordinary. No prostate pressure at all. None. My butt settled in on the second ride. I love this thing. I have the tri model. The company just came out with a road version, which appears a bit wider and heavier. The design is what is key. It is tops.

Try it if you are having similar problems.

Iceman
    IceMan
    The Bike Whisperer
    "It's hard to be me, I just make it look easy."

Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by walleyeangler
    A few months ago I asked about saddles for prostate problems here after I was diagnosed with cancer in that area. The suggestions were many. I tried a Koobi that was suggested after surgery. I found it hard and it did not relieve the pain. I subsequently had a second surgery to fix something that wasn't healing right and causing lots of pain. I also had my LBS do some research. Their bike fitting expert is a triathlete who knew about the Blackwell Research Adamo. It has a wide sit area with a gel section. The rest is foam. The horn is split completely in two parts with a wide area in between. It is extraordinary. No prostate pressure at all. None. My butt settled in on the second ride. I love this thing. I have the tri model. The company just came out with a road version, which appears a bit wider and heavier. The design is what is key. It is tops.

Try it if you are having similar problems.

Iceman
    The best Saddle for prostate are the SMP STRIKE http://www.all4cycling.com/shop/index.php?cPath=152

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    It looks like it would work, too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Iceman
    IceMan
    The Bike Whisperer
    "It's hard to be me, I just make it look easy."

May 2002

Smp

Quote Originally Posted by cicco
    The best Saddle for prostate are the SMP STRIKE http://www.all4cycling.com/shop/index.php?cPath=152

I have one, and I won't ride anything else....

Flash

Cicloturista

Smile Rido

I don't prostate problems, but this saddle made in England to take out pressure on the perineum.I have 2 old model and 1 new Rido2.And the price is less 50 dollars.

http://www.rido-cyclesaddles.com/

RoadBikeReview Member

SMP Strike X2

Second the motion for the SMP Strike. I have had serious prostate issues and this saddle made a huge difference. Not just my opinion, my doc's my an exam before and after a three hour ride.
    Stay Well and LiveSTRONG

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    is the SMP Strike good for taking pressure off the perineum too?

Anti-Hero
    Yes... just look at the different versions & pick out one that's wide enough for your seatbones. The "Glider" model is a good compromise between light and a little padding:

No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

banned
    Apr 2008

Good choice. .

Quote Originally Posted by cicco
    It depends how wide you sit bones are as to weather you use the Strike. I'm 5-8" and 143 pounds and I'm using the Selle SMP Glider. Awesome saddle, It literally disappears under you while riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemero
    is the SMP Strike good for taking pressure off the perineum too?
    IMO, yes, No prostate problems (yet) but perineum was making itself known after an hour or so on the bike. I tried a Specialized Avatar, which eased the discomfort quite a bit (I probably could have lived with it) but decided to try a SMP Strike after the recommendations from other posters here . It has proved to be perfect. I put a cheaper, more padded, heavier SMP Strike Extra on my mtb and am very happy with that as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    SMP here too. I have Evolution (minimum padding) on one bike and Stratos (a bit more padding) on the main bike. I prefer SMP Stratos with more padding. In either case there is no pressure in those delicate areas, all the weight is on sit-bones only. The main trick for comfort is to position your SMP correctly. In general you want to put a 1 foot long level all along the seat from high end in the nose to high end in the tail and make the seat completely level that way. If that causes any pressure behind your family jewels then tip the nose down 1-2 degrees (literally 1 or 2, so you need accurate protractor angle measuring device to tilt 1-2 degrees). Your sitbones should be parked in the rear end of the SMP seat, on the widest part in the rear. If you park your sitbones anywhere else, then you are sitting wrong. Note that SMP have very long rails so you have more seatback than most other saddles too. You dont do much sliding fore and aft on this seat though. It is a bit like Fizik Aliante, it has 1 sweet spot on it and that's it.

Very expensive seat but very good one still. I dont like the embroidered letters "SMP" on the sides, they tend to rub the bib's material. I wish they had completely smooth leather surface.