Safe to reshape carbon fiber frame? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 108
  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by roaden View Post
    I actually thought I'd just let the chainring gouge it's own clearance. But maybe a better idea would have been to sand the chainring instead. That probably would have been less risky because you would be putting stress on the small chainring only when you're climbing during which you would be going at slower and therefore safer speeds.
    Even less risky would be to run chainrings that don't interfere with the chain stay. Or, if you really really really needed those chainrings, find a frame they work on without compromising the integrity of your bike.

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by MMMhills View Post
    As a mechanic I would NEVER ride that frame again and recommend you dont either. Carbon is strong or flexy or weak depending on how it is layered. The fame could last and never fail BUT it also could have a catastrophic failure at any time.

    Question is how lucky do you feel when cruising downhill at speed and that is the point the frame brakes in half where you did your work????? Hope it works out but I would not ride it!
    The frame breaks in half while cruising downhill? You paint a much scarier picture than what Jay Strongbow's experience suggests. As he said:

    I can tell you I wore a gouge maybe that deep in a chain stay from breaking a spoke and riding home with the tire rubbing and subsequently rode about 30K miles on the frame.

  3. #28
    ngl
    ngl is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    710
    This is only ONE of the reasons I recommend a 'novice' person take any 'used' bike to a LBS for inspection before buying it.

  4. #29
    ngl
    ngl is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by roaden View Post
    . But maybe a better idea would have been to sand the chainring instead.
    At what location were you planning to sand on the chainring?

  5. #30
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,738
    Quote Originally Posted by roaden View Post
    The frame breaks in half while cruising downhill? You paint a much scarier picture than what Jay Strongbow's experience suggests. As he said:

    [/I][/COLOR]
    Good god you are truly not smart enough to take the advice you've been give, are you? No one here has seen the damage you've done. No one here is a composite engineer. The ONLY advice worth a damn anyone can give you is to play it safe and not ride the frame. This has been done repeatedly and yet you reply like this? I hope you don't have kids.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,000
    I'm not sure which is worse, this remedy or the thread you made making your integrated seatpost mast higher.

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,456
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    I'm not sure which is worse, this remedy or the thread you made making your integrated seatpost mast higher.
    OMG, I missed that one... give us a link!

    Can the OP post any engineering support/education/classes/work he has done that would qualify u as to capable of re-engineering a CF frame?
    Besides making a mud pie in the backyard once?
    BANNED

  8. #33
    What the what???
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    11,115
    I'm starting to suspect there's a troll afoot...
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

  9. #34
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    OMG, I missed that one... give us a link!

    Can the OP post any engineering support/education/classes/work he has done that would qualify u as to capable of re-engineering a CF frame?
    Besides making a mud pie in the backyard once?
    Here you go. That thread is just a couple down from this one.

    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/co...gy-371607.html

    edit: watch the second video

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Here you go. That thread is just a couple down from this one.

    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/co...gy-371607.html

    edit: watch the second video
    sorry to disappoint you, that wasn't me. so you just see 2 guys trying to fix carbon and assumed they are the same person? i feel bad for that other guy, my mad tinkering is giving him a bad reputation. his fix is actually not bad, but I would sand down the glued seatmast pieces first before applying 2 layers of carbon, or else the whole thing would be too thick for the seatmast topper.

  11. #36
    ngl
    ngl is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by roaden View Post
    sorry to disappoint you, that wasn't me. so you just see 2 guys trying to fix carbon and assumed they are the same person? i feel bad for that other guy, my mad tinkering is giving him a bad reputation. his fix is actually not bad, but I would sand down the glued seatmast pieces first before applying 2 layers of carbon, or else the whole thing would be too thick for the seatmast topper.
    I'm still interested to know where you were going to sand on that chainring.

  12. #37
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by ngl View Post
    I'm still interested to know where you were going to sand on that chainring.
    i thought i answered your question, but i checked and it's not there. maybe i didn't post the reply. anyway, it's a moot point because I'm not sanding the chainring now that i've already sanded the frame. but it would have been on the side of the small chainring where it's contacting the frame. Not the teeth of the rings, but the thick part below the teeth where the bolt holes are. This is a special chainring where the holes are threaded, it doesn't use the normal chainring slot-style bolt nut.

    I guess i didn't think of sanding the chainring because it was easier to sand carbon, and if i change my mind and want to go back to regular chainrings, the carbon is repairable. You can't rebuild back a sanded down chainring.

  13. #38
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,803
    The frame is basically trash. Others have said it.. and there is a huge difference between a gouge and sanding a part of the frame away. There are some possible occasions where you could get away with it (seat tube for example is the only one I can think of), areas that are vertical that take no lateral stress. On the chainstay, you have a tone of lateral stress.. Carbon is layered in perpendicular layers impregnated with resin in a vacuum chamber, even if you use a carbon fiber patch and resin, it will not be truly bonded and will will not provide structural support. At most, you should only have removed the clear coat. If you cannot use a part, then it was not designed to fit that part, don't use the part, get a different part, don't compromise the structure of the frame to fit a part, that is just stupid.

    You are literally taking your life into your hands there at best, at worst, and you sell it, you are risking someone elses life. Take the lesson learned, suck it up, it's a big financial hit, and get a new frame, and trash the current one, don't be that guy.

  14. #39
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    28
    Some of you guys make it sound like there is no carbon repair industry that do all sorts of repairs all the time. Take a look at Calfee, for example, who give a 10-year warranty on their repairs.

    https://calfeedesign.com/repair-examples/

  15. #40
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    15,236
    Quote Originally Posted by roaden View Post
    Is this going to be safe to ride?
    Might want to invest..... https://www.deltadental.com/us/en/dental-insurance.html
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  16. #41
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,803
    Quote Originally Posted by roaden View Post
    Some of you guys make it sound like there is no carbon repair industry that do all sorts of repairs all the time. Take a look at Calfee, for example, who give a 10-year warranty on their repairs.

    https://calfeedesign.com/repair-examples/
    That is not the same thing as a patch repair you mentioned further up in the thread. They actually cut and remove the affected section, and lay out essentially an entirely new piece of a part and tie it into the frame structurally. Since you are familiar with them, send your frame to them to repair.

    Seriously, you asked a question, you got an answer, basically every response gave you the same answer, don't do it, you should not have done it, it's a bad idea... and yet you are still arguing.. I could see if maybe one or 2 people here agreed with what you did, but there is a solid consensus that it was dumb... life threateningly dumb.

  17. #42
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,869
    Still no pictures?

  18. #43
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,456
    Come on, if caffee can do so can he! ... or her!

    I think his next project should be a trip to the MOON!
    BANNED

  19. #44
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,738
    Quote Originally Posted by roaden View Post
    Some of you guys make it sound like there is no carbon repair industry that do all sorts of repairs all the time. Take a look at Calfee, for example, who give a 10-year warranty on their repairs.

    https://calfeedesign.com/repair-examples/
    There definitely is a carbon repair industry. The thing is they know what they're doing...unlike you.



    Who is totally clueless.




    And refuses to acknowledge the fact despite it being brought up by many members.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  20. #45
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,466
    Why in the hell didnít you just get a crankset with a wider, adjustable bottom bracket?

  21. #46
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,511
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    There definitely is a carbon repair industry. The thing is they know what they're doing...unlike you.
    ...
    If even CX wouldn't attempt it, you shouldn't either. I wonder what sort of 'kludge' repairs you've done on your car.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  22. #47
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by roaden View Post
    There's no room for a spacer on the bottom bracket.
    A) sorry, but that was an exceptionally stupid thing to do. Do you really think frame designers put a ton of extra material anywhere just for the heck of it? B) your statement above makes no sense. You put a 1-2mm spacer on the crank spindle, re-install, job done. I had to do this when I put eTap on my TT bike to get the drive side crank arm to clear the adjusting screws. I guess by your logic I should have just filed a groove in the crank arm.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

  23. #48
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    B) your statement above makes no sense. You put a 1-2mm spacer on the crank spindle, re-install, job done. I had to do this when I put eTap on my TT bike to get the drive side crank arm to clear the adjusting screws. I guess by your logic I should have just filed a groove in the crank arm.
    Just because your crankset has room for spacers on your bike doesn't mean all cranks have room for spacers. What does not having room look like? It means when the cranks are installed, both cranks are flush to the bottom bracket bushings. There is no side-to-side leeway.

  24. #49
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,078
    Quote Originally Posted by roaden View Post
    Just because your crankset has room for spacers on your bike doesn't mean all cranks have room for spacers. What does not having room look like? It means when the cranks are installed, both cranks are flush to the bottom bracket bushings. There is no side-to-side leeway.
    Did you attempt to apply a spacer or just assume that it wouldn't work?
    Too old to ride plastic

  25. #50
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Did you attempt to apply a spacer or just assume that it wouldn't work?
    I like the way you think. Some people here just assumed sanding a frame wouldn't work without even attempting it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-12-2013, 11:27 AM
  2. safe to cut a carbon fiber seatpost?
    By skaruda_23 in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 07:30 PM
  3. Goo Gone: safe to use on carbon fiber to remove stickers?
    By skyliner1004 in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-13-2010, 02:38 PM
  4. When is Carbon Fiber not Carbon Fiber?
    By dnalsaam in forum Colnago
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-19-2005, 02:20 PM
  5. Degreaser safe for carbon fiber?
    By johndengler in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 06:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.