Safe to reshape carbon fiber frame? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by roaden View Post
    OldChipper: "Can we stop now?"

Also OldChipper: "Let's go back to the beginning. Why did you do it?"

I was trolling. Then people started asking for pictures. So I took my old bike that I was using as wall art and sanded it. Installed a greasy bottom bracket too to make it look real.
    Aaaaand We're done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    ... and OP, your on ignore.
    BANNED

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    We're not done.

Clearly, this is a double-meta troll. He's trolling us now by saying he was trolling us, when he was serious (not trolling) and is now trying to get us off of his back.

Think outside the trollbox.

OP: Do you have dental insurance? After your frame explodes, you'll need it. New incisors are expensive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    We're not done.

Clearly, this is a double-meta troll. He's trolling us now by saying he was trolling us, when he was serious (not trolling) and is now trying to get us off of his back.

OP: Do you have dental insurance? After your frame explodes, you'll need it. New incisors are expensive.
    Haha, yeah that occurred to me too. Nonetheless, I down-repped him, whether for being a troll or recalcitrant idiot, and reported the thread.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Fun will not be had!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Not sure if CX beat me to it, but shouldn't this be in Frames and Forks forum? Maybe if it gets moved to the Lounge it will die quickly.

Nice chatting with you all.

Neophyte
    If this was trolling, at least kudos for doing a better job of acting sincere than ASFOS. Although he was much more entertaining...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    If this was trolling, at least kudos for doing a better job of acting sincere than ASFOS. Although he was much more entertaining...
    Dammit, I thought I would win the ASFOS award this month with my ĎTire pressure mythsí thread posted in General. I did put evidence of my troll baiting in the OP and exposed it quickly cause, well, Iím not a troll and I wasnít double meta-trolling. But Iím going to have to step up my game. Pretty soon someone is going to post that they have stage 3 cancer and theyíll be accused of trolling.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    We're not done.

...and he installed a greasy bottom bracket just for appearances? Pretty sure "dumbass" applies both ways... if he rides the bike or trolled us and hangs it on a wall.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    I read somewhere 7 layers is minimum recommended, and can go as high as 12 to 16 layers in high stress areas.
    I suspect those numbers are very generalized as the the type of carbon fiber and the weave Of the matting comes into play. Clearly though, the ultimate strength of the chainstay has been compromised but we canít say how much. Carbon fiber structures are designed as a unit. Each layer of carbon fiber matting and resin is there for a reason. It appears that you have sanded through 3 layers of matt and resin. That makes those layers ineffective as the loads canít be passed through them. The removed material creates a discontinuity.

As I said, itís been compromised but we donít know to what degree...
    2016 Ritchey BreakAway (carbon)
    Full Campagnolo drivetrain - Chorus 11sp (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Zonda wheels
    Lezyne Super GPS w/Cateye speed/cadence & HR sensors
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    I suspect those numbers are very generalized as the the type of carbon fiber and the weave Of the matting comes into play. Clearly though, the ultimate strength of the chainstay has been compromised but we canít say how much. Carbon fiber structures are designed as a unit. Each layer of carbon fiber matting and resin is there for a reason. It appears that you have sanded through 3 layers of matt and resin. That makes those layers ineffective as the loads canít be passed through them. The removed material creates a discontinuity.

As I said, itís been compromised but we donít know to what degree...
    I think at this point we know the ultimate strength has been reduced to an insignificant degree, given that I have already ridden the bike 200 miles in varied terrain, including hills, gravel, and indoor trainer, and I'm still alive and have all my front teeth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I think at this point we know the ultimate strength has been reduced to an insignificant degree, given that I have already ridden the bike 200 miles in varied terrain, including hills, gravel, and indoor trainer, and I'm still alive and have all my front teeth.
    I think at this point we (I think I can speak for may here) wish you the best. I hope the next 200 miles go as well as the first. I would recommend next time you have trouble fitting components to your bike, you visit with someone who knows what they are doing.

What the what???
    Sooo... are you lying about it being wall art... or are you lying about riding it? Either way, you've strayed beyond your bridge...
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Sooo... are you lying about it being wall art... or are you lying about riding it? Either way, you've strayed beyond your bridge...
    I was lying about wall art. It was a joke. It was obvious to at least one person anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I was lying about wall art. It was a joke. It was obvious to at least one person anyway.
    Yes, to the one who came for advice after sanding layers of carbon from his chainstay and refuses to accept the advice he's been given.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I think at this point we know the ultimate strength has been reduced to an insignificant degree
    You know nothing of the sort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    You know nothing of the sort.
    I think at this point I THINK the ultimate strength has been reduced to an insignificant degree.

I went ahead and fixed that statement for him as I don't think anyone else here (we) think or know that to be true.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    I think at this point I THINK the ultimate strength has been reduced xx an insignificant degree.
    I'm going to go ahead and fix your fix. Insignificant is true, until you hit a pot hole, then it becomes significant!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and fix your fix. Insignificant is true, until you hit a pot hole, then it becomes significant!
    Dude, I've bunny-hopped multiple times on the bike. I know how to bunny hop over potholes. That's a shock to the frame as much as hitting a pothole would be (except your front wheel doesn't take the brunt of the impact) and the frame is fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    I think at this point I THINK the ultimate strength has been reduced to an insignificant degree.

I went ahead and fixed that statement for him as I don't think anyone else here (we) think or know that to be true.
    200 miles is not enough proof for you? How about 2000 miles? I'll come back here and post after I've ridden 2000 miles and will you concede that I'm right then?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    200 miles is not enough proof for you? How about 2000 miles? I'll come back here and post after I've ridden 2000 miles and will you concede that I'm right then?
    After 2,000 miles I will concede that your frame is not broken. I will never concede that you are right about this. What you did was really stupid and your inability to accept that fact is equally stupid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    After 2,000 miles I will concede that your frame is not broken.
    Good enough for me. See you after 2k miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    What you did was really stupid and your inability to accept that fact is equally stupid.
    Good enough for me. See you after 2k miles.
    I can't wait.

What the what???
    Thanks for admitting it publicly.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Dude, I've bunny-hopped multiple times on the bike. I know how to bunny hop over potholes. That's a shock to the frame as much as hitting a pothole would be (except your front wheel doesn't take the brunt of the impact) and the frame is fine.
    This means absolutely nothing when you've removed material that was put there on purpose by an engineer. I sincerely hope you don't have or ever want to have any kids. Darwin Award contestants shouldn't mess around w/ kids.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast