Seized pivot

Thread: Seized pivot

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Seized pivot

Maybe everybody but me knew this, but you're supposed to lube the pivots on your rear derailleur. I lube everything else when I clean the chain but never thought about the big pivots that let the cage swing to take up slack in the chain. I've had the bike 7 years.

Well, yesterday I went to shift into the small ring and the chain hung up. The derailleur wasn't moving back to tighten the chain. I went home and put the bike on a stand and sure enough, one of the pivots was very sticky. I read my Zinn book and it said don't take it apart because you'll never get it back together. So I flushed it with chain lube and flexed it a lot. Now everything works much better. I've been having trouble with my front shifts for a couple of years and now I know why. I was looking at the wrong end of the system.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Both the pulley cage pivot and the main pivot are pretty easy to take apart and clean/lube. Not sure what ole Zinn is talking about.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Funny you bring this up, I just did mine earlier today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I'm not sure about newer derailleurs or other brands, but I was able to disassemble my 9 speed Shimano Ultegra and Deore derailleurs at the spring pivot and clean them. You just have to pay attention which direction the spring must be wound. It's a little clumsy reconnecting the circlip, but it's doable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Soaring Vulture View Post
    Maybe everybody but me knew this, but you're supposed to lube the pivots on your rear derailleur. I lube everything else when I clean the chain but never thought about the big pivots that let the cage swing to take up slack in the chain. I've had the bike 7 years.

Well, yesterday I went to shift into the small ring and the chain hung up. The derailleur wasn't moving back to tighten the chain. I went home and put the bike on a stand and sure enough, one of the pivots was very sticky. I read my Zinn book and it said don't take it apart because you'll never get it back together. So I flushed it with chain lube and flexed it a lot. Now everything works much better. I've been having trouble with my front shifts for a couple of years and now I know why. I was looking at the wrong end of the system.
    It obviously depends on riding conditions and mileage, but I do a total teardown of my bike every year (about 9,000 miles). Everything that comes apart is taken apart, cleaned, and lubed. It's called preventative maintenance and as a result I have ZERO on-road mechanical issues. Properly maintained, bike components can work well for many tens of thousands of miles. Left to rust, things go south much sooner than necessary.