Shifter Cable Head Stuck in Shifter
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001

Shifter Cable Head Stuck in Shifter

I broke the rear der shift cable at the shift end while riding (does it ever break some place else?). Anyway I think the head is still in the shifter, cause I don't get any clicking when shifting with a new cable in place. What's the best way to approach this? Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    why not just feed the end of a new cable in from the housing side and push the broken end out?

RBR Veteran Opinionater
    Read the whole post superfly. He has the new cable in, and it wouldn't have gone in if the old head was still in place where your trick might help.

Take it apart. If it's Campy, it's made to be taken apart and put back together. If it's Shimano or Sram, good luck, or get out your fat wallet.
    Escalate. Always escalate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001

Got the Head Out

I guess the cable head did not drop all the way into the shifter because I was able to get it out. When I down shifted the shifter all the way down, I was able to expose the cable head while twisting the shifter. What great luck!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Good for you. I had the same thing happen (DA 10), but neither I, my bike shop, or Shimano could get the cable end out. Luckily, I got a warranty replacement.
    100% is too much