Shifter hard to move - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Could it be FD vertical position is wrong such that when trying to shift up the chain is getting mashed up against the large chainring in a bad way?
    No. Haven't you been paying attention? The derailleur and shifter were installed correctly.

( )

I'll bet ya this thread fades away without the answer - when the OP (or the engineer/mechanic/friend) realizes the derailleur was in fact too high or the limit screw was buried or the cable was routed incorrectly.

OP bonus points if you prove me wrong and post up with "Well, turns out we made a mistake and... "
    Last edited by OldZaskar; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:26 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    No. Haven't you been paying attention? The derailleur and shifter were installed correctly.

( )

I'll bet ya this thread fades away without the answer - when the OP (or the engineer/mechanic/friend) realizes the derailleur was intact too high or the limit screw was buried or the cable was routed incorrectly.

OP bonus points if you prove me wrong and post up with "Well, turns out we made a mistake and... "
    Yeah, one can only assume that once it was set up correctly, it worked as it should. I never did see a picture of the proper set up.

I really do wonder how this all played out.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Oh, for the love of god, why won't this thread just die?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Oh, for the love of god, why won't this thread just die?
    Well, not just yet,
    I had a Trek Domane SL 5 2019 come in today presenting the exact same problem the OP described.This was the second shifter on this bike, the first did the same thing. It's 105, but the same problem.
    The first trim click in the stroke is very stiff, but once it gets going, it works as is should.
    I disconnected the cable from the derailleur, and could not produce the same result, even with tension applied to the cable by hand.
    This got me thinking. It feels like it would if you hooked up the cable on the outside of the pinch bolt on an old school (standard) type derailleur.
    Here is my theory. The derailleur braze on is too far outbound. To get the derailleur to sit in the correct position while in the small ring, it sits with the lower pivots behind the upper pivots, making it difficult to get the thing moving. Once you break that plain, it moves just as it should.
    This could explain why it is not a widespread issue. It could be certain bike models, not brand specific, and possibly not model specific.
    When I move the L stop far enough out, the problem seams to go away. Only problem is it rubs the inner plate big time and won't shift back from the big ring (obviously).
    You can call me crazy, but this is the only thing that makes any sense and if it had not shown up in my work stand today, I'd still be at a loss.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Sounds reasonable to me. I think you've figured it out. Although I've never seen this problem on an Emonda. I'll have to check it out when I'm back in the shop.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12