Shifter problems
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003

Shifter problems

I have Dura Ace components and the shifters stopped working working. the components are about 15 years old and probably have 20,000 miles on them. The bike has been sitting for a couple of years and I figured it needed new cables and a general tune up so i took it to a bike shop that has had pretty good reviews and I've bought a couple of mountain bikes from them in the last 6 months.

The owner took one look at the shifters and said they were shot and he could replace them with 105 for about $400. It's a 15 year old Madone that looks in great shape and I figure retail now would be about $800 so I am hesitant to poor a lot more money into it.

Any way he shot some degreaser into the hole in the side of each shifter and it seems to change gears well, I haven't had a chance to ride it yet and I'm going to use it mainly on an indoor trainer.

So do you thinks my shifters are shot or is this guying trying to make a buck?

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    You could do some searching on here and find dozens if not hundreds of posts/threads about exactly the same thing. It's VERY rare that Shimano shifters wear out or break. The grease used when they're assembled gets sticky over time and does exactly what happened to you. It's fixed (temporarily) by doing exactly what the shop owner did. It will happen again. You can fix it again. Absolutely NO need to replace them. This is a classic case of shifters that are not used for an extended period of time getting sticky.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    easy fix

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I've had four shimano shifters die in the course of about 60K miles. 4 right and 0 left. The one time I dissected it to figure out what happened the return spring was broken.

Each time the shifter went from working fine to not working at all in the blink of an eye. Shift once it's fine, shift again and it doesn't work at all.

Presumably you would have noticed this when last riding the bike and there is no chance something is going to break when sitting in the garage.
    Also, there is about zero chance that both of your shifters would give up the ghost at the same time. Really no chance both of your shifters are dead unless one die and you continued to use the pair for thousands of miles. They just won't die at the same time.

You would need a pair if one is broken if you go with a different model but it's almost certainly total BS that both your shifters are broken and not working for any reason other than the grease has gummed up after sitting for so long.
    Don't listen to that shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Thanks everyone for you input, what you said is pretty much what I thought.

Never Give Up!
    [IMG]328241[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

Banned Sock Puppet
    I smell boat payment.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I think you guys are way too critical of the bike shop guy. He's just an average dude, with a average education, do'in the best he can. He sayes they're f*cked cause he doesn't know how to fix them. Compare that to the average american, pretty typical. Can't fix stupid cause, you know they're ignorant.
    BANNED

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I think you guys are way too critical of the bike shop guy. He's just an average dude, with a average education, do'in the best he can. He sayes they're f*cked cause he doesn't know how to fix them. Compare that to the average american, pretty typical. Can't fix stupid cause, you know they're ignorant.
    Yeah, can't fix $h!t, but he can sure upsell you on something you don't need. BTW, judging by the poster's tenuous English skills, I assume that he's in Europe somewhere...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    ... he's from NC, USA. .... so my comment stands the test and proof.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Irony much?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    IDGI, what's the irony?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    He sayes they're f*cked cause he doesn't know how to fix them.
    And yet the confusing part of all of this is that he DID fix them. He used the technique that many have learned and used for decades. The question I have is what his story is. "Your shifters are shot, replace them. But in the mean time, I can fix them by cleaning them." Wait, what?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    ... so he's a liar, is that better?
    BANNED