Which shifting cable housing end cap to use (metal or plastic)?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Which shifting cable housing end cap to use (metal or plastic)?

Does it make much difference in the shifting quality or longevity if I use the metal or plastic shifting cable housing end caps, I have bought a roll of cable housing and was needing some end caps to go with it. Thanks or any opinions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    You're overthinking this. As long as it fits your needs, what does it really matter if its metal or plastic? All it really does is act as a seal to prevent dirt contamination.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I definitely prefer the metal shift ferrules, I usually use the SRAM ones. I don't like sealed ferrules, they always seem draggy to me and I like to replace my cables and housing on a regular basis so I'm not that worried about dirt getting inside the housing. The metal ferrules are stronger so they don't get bent/deformed like the plastic ferrules. The only downside is they can get a little noisy when the housing compresses and the wires start to poke out the end.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I definitely prefer the metal shift ferrules, I usually use the SRAM ones. I don't like sealed ferrules, they always seem draggy to me and I like to replace my cables and housing on a regular basis so I'm not that worried about dirt getting inside the housing. The metal ferrules are stronger so they don't get bent/deformed like the plastic ferrules. The only downside is they can get a little noisy when the housing compresses and the wires start to poke out the end.
    I must plead ignorance here, but until now, never knew metal shift ferrules existed. Awhile back, I looked for some, but came up empty and it was then I concluded that brake ferrules were metal and shift ferrules were plastic.

I search again today and come up with this:

https://tinyurl.com/qotekq3

https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Alumin...H29?th=1&psc=1

I learn something new every day!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    I'd use plastic ones over steel ones that can rust/corrode.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I must plead ignorance here, but until now, never knew metal shift ferrules existed.
    See: Campagnolo. Metal end caps since pretty much the dawn of time.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    See: Campagnolo. Metal end caps since pretty much the dawn of time.
    Sorry, I don't travel in those elite circles. I'm just a lowly Shimano/SRAM commoner.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    I'd use plastic ones over steel ones that can rust/corrode.
    Are you serious? I suppose they could but if rust/corrosion is really a concern shifting ferrules is about the last place I'd worry about it. Even the most carboned out bike is going to have a lot of metal that plays a much more important role than ferrules.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I wouldn't think corrosion would be a real concern as they are aluminum

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-ST-...97.m4902.l9144

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura Roubaix View Post

Not all of them are aluminum. Some are chrome plated brass.

Banned Sock Puppet

Newflash: Aluminum DOES rust......ahem......excuse me, corrode:
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Newflash: Aluminum DOES rust......ahem......excuse me, corrode:
    Sorry Guys for the incomplete thought. Yes aluminum will corrode, but my thought was, not a (real big concern). I guess if you lived near the ocean, or if they were left on for a long time it might be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Sorry Guys for the incomplete thought. Yes aluminum will corrode, but my thought was, not a (real big concern). I guess if you lived near the ocean, or if they were left on for a long time it might be.
    If it was a real concern, you wouldn't be able to use the bike anyway because the hub, spokes, cassette, maybe rims, shifter internals, all screws, and on and on would all be corroded and housing end caps would be the least of your worries.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Yours and Jay's points are taken. I just had to dispel the false statement that aluminum doesn't corrode.

I have in fact seen aluminum rims that were severely pitted due to corrosion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Are you serious? I suppose they could but if rust/corrosion is really a concern shifting ferrules is about the last place I'd worry about it. Even the most carboned out bike is going to have a lot of metal that plays a much more important role than ferrules.
    I have steel ferrules on the rear brake cable on my '05 Trek Madone carbon bike and the front one badly corroded in the cable stop under the top tube. I suppose aluminum may have corroded too, but aluminum is much more corrosion resistant than steel (except stainless steel).

I have steel ferrules on the rear brake cable on my '05 Trek Madone carbon bike and the front one badly corroded in the cable stop under the top tube. I suppose aluminum may have corroded too, but aluminum is much more corrosion resistant than steel (except stainless steel).
    Bottom of the top tube you say? Aluminum definitely would have corroded there too. That's the classic spot where you have to use a hammer and a screwdriver to punch the stuck ferrule out.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I was always partial to the Wheels Manufacturing brass ones. Haven’t seen them in a while, though.

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I was always partial to the Wheels Manufacturing brass ones. Haven’t seen them in a while, though.
    Still available, eBay is one source.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    okay I guess I'll stand corrected.
    I've been using the same ones since forever. They are silver so obviously metal but to be honest I have no idea if they are steel or alloy.

Banned Sock Puppet
    okay I guess I'll stand corrected.
    I've been using the same ones since forever. They are silver so obviously metal but to be honest I have no idea if they are steel or alloy.
    Do you have a magnet?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Do you have a magnet?
    No I don't have a magnet. Nor to I have any interest in finding out if my housing end caps are alloy of steel.

Banned Sock Puppet
    No I don't have a magnet. Nor to I have any interest in finding out if my housing end caps are alloy of steel.
    Oh come one Jay! You gotta find out! The suspense is killing me!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    Still available, eBay is one source.
    Yup, in QBP too.