Shifting Housing Failure
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Shifting Housing Failure

I never even took the bike on the road. I just had it on the work stand and worked on it. This was new housing for the front shifter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    You used a brake ferrule (and a crappy one at that). Shift housing needs shift ferrules, they are reinforced at the end to keep that from happening.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    I'm not sure that's a brake ferrule as it seems to fit the housing pretty well...unless it's 5.0mm shift housing. The brake ferrule hole is about .5mm larger than the shift ferrule hole, that could lead to the wires poking out. The shift ferrules that most people use are plastic and they hold up. I'd also make sure the end of the housing is as square as possible when cut. I don't finish them on the grinder but just make sure it's as square as you can make it.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    That's not shift housing failure, that is mechanics failure. Just cut those wires off square and put a shifting end housing on it.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'm not sure that's a brake ferrule as it seems to fit the housing pretty well...unless it's 5.0mm shift housing. The brake ferrule hole is about .5mm larger than the shift ferrule hole, that could lead to the wires poking out. The shift ferrules that most people use are plastic and they hold up. I'd also make sure the end of the housing is as square as possible when cut. I don't finish them on the grinder but just make sure it's as square as you can make it.
    5mm shift housing and the cheep brake ferrule for sure. My boss used to insist on using 5mm shift housing Then he went cheep and ordered those crappy ferrules. The OP photo is exactly what happens when you use that combo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    It is 4mm shifter housing for sure, and a 4mm ferrule. I don't think that brake ferrules come 4mm. Any suggestion what I can improve on to avoid this happening again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    If you initially cut them off square, tight bends could cause that. Maybe install the cable first then cut off square after you got most of the bends worked in?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by daniell View Post
    It is 4mm shifter housing for sure, and a 4mm ferrule. I don't think that brake ferrules come 4mm. Any suggestion what I can improve on to avoid this happening again.
    That is not a 4mm ferrule, it is a cheap 5mm brake ferrule. There is no 4mm ferrule that looks like that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    That is not a 4mm ferrule, it is a cheap 5mm brake ferrule. There is no 4mm ferrule that looks like that.
    Check image!
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Something doesn't look right with the ferrule in the photo-is the cable exit hole flared or is that the liner from the housing poking through the hole?

I'm inclined to think the ferrule was cheap or out of spec., with an oversized exit hole or too thin, resulting in a flared end from shifting pressures. Also, the ferrule doesn't have a squared-off end such as seen on Jagwire cables, which I think have more material around the exit hole.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    Something doesn't look right with the ferrule in the photo-is the cable exit hole flared or is that the liner from the housing poking through the hole?

I'm inclined to think the ferrule was cheap or out of spec., with an oversized exit hole or too thin, resulting in a flared end from shifting pressures. Also, the ferrule doesn't have a squared-off end such as seen on Jagwire cables, which I think have more material around the exit hole.
    These are 4mm aluminum ferrules. I would think that they would be better than plastic ones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    I think that I may have found the problem. Though the aluminum ferrule is 4mm, the exit hole is too large. I compared it to a plastic one. That goes for both shifter and 5mm brake ferrules.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I think that I may have found the problem. Though the aluminum ferrule is 4mm, the exit hole is too large. I compared it to a plastic one. That goes for both shifter and 5mm brake ferrules.
    What do I win?

Seriously, I've never had such problems with Jagwire cable kits. Worth trying their ferrules.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    I am wondering whether I should also change the ferrules on the brake housing. The inners are wound horizontally thus making it less likely to come through the ferrule.

Banned Sock Puppet
    I am wondering whether I should also change the ferrules on the brake housing. The inners are wound horizontally thus making it less likely to come through the ferrule.
    If it ain't broken...................
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    These are 4mm aluminum ferrules. I would think that they would be better than plastic ones.
    They chromed brass, not aluminum.

No need because of the way they're made and the brake cable is larger and fills the hole more completely.
    #promechaniclife

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    They're chromed brass, not aluminum.
    Fixed.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Oh no, you didn'[email protected]
    BANNED