shifting to lowest gear cog problem
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013

shifting to lowest gear cog problem

Running Shimano 105 shifters, RD 5700 and recently (just past week or so) had problem shifting to lowest gear cog (current cassette is 12/28), with Shimano FD 52/36. Will not shift to largest cog at all on large chain ring but will eventually shift on the smaller chain ring. I have about 2000 mi on the current shifter cable and wonder if this problem could be due to stretched cable rather than low adjustment setting. No apparent cable wear where it connects to the shifter. Do not want to change the low adjustment if that is not the cause.
    TIA for suggestions, current LBS availability is 2-3 weeks here in Union Count NJ

Never Give Up!
    In the process of elimination, and if the problem really just started after 2000 miles... would lead me to think its a frayed cable somewhere in the housing and not the limit screws.

Pull the cable(s) and replace, not expensive and easy to due!
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lcharmatz View Post
    Running Shimano 105 shifters, RD 5700 and recently (just past week or so) had problem shifting to lowest gear cog (current cassette is 12/28), with Shimano FD 52/36. Will not shift to largest cog at all on large chain ring but will eventually shift on the smaller chain ring. I have about 2000 mi on the current shifter cable and wonder if this problem could be due to stretched cable rather than low adjustment setting. No apparent cable wear where it connects to the shifter. Do not want to change the low adjustment if that is not the cause.
    TIA for suggestions, current LBS availability is 2-3 weeks here in Union Count NJ
    Low adjustment only sets travel limit, won't affect actual shifting. If the cable is fraying, the feel of the shift will become mushy, and less tactile. Can you be more specific on on your "No apparent cable wear where it connects to the shifter" comment? Fray on STI shifters often occur where the cable rubs on the inside channel, so unless you extract the cable out a bit from the shifter, it'll be hard to see, so like to know how you arrived at your assessment.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Cables do NOT stretch. Ever. This sounds like it might be a frayed cable inside the shifter. Put the bike in a work stand, undo the cable from the derailleur. Pedal the bike and push the derailleur by hand up to the large cog and then while pedaling slowly try to push it to the stop or past. If it goes up to the big cog then the limit screw obviously isn't your problem. Do you know where/how to look for a frayed cable?
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I have not tried to replace a shifter cable myself! I do have a spare cable just not comfortable in trying to remove without knowing how to set the cable length at the derailleur if I do replace!

I have not tried to replace a shifter cable myself! I do have a spare cable just not comfortable in trying to remove without knowing how to set the cable length at the derailleur if I do replace!
    There are dozens if not hundreds of videos that show how to do this. It's not hard.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I'm not sure I understand what you are saying but getting the cable length is a non issue. You cut it after it's installed and your frame and the housing don't give you an discretion in determining cable length. Well other than how much is having past the pinch bolt and that doesn't really matter.

Never Give Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    There are dozens if not hundreds of videos that show how to do this. It's not hard.
    ^^^ This... search you tube, you can find everything you need to know on the subject... GCN, Art's Cyclery, Park Tool "Tech Tuesday" are just a couple reputable ones to watch!
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have not tried to replace a shifter cable myself!
    I suspected as much. This can be a bit daunting for first timer. Also, if the cable is in fact frayed, it can be tricky getting it out of the shifter. If you are not comfortable, then I suggest that you just avoid the problematic gear combination when riding, be extra gentle when shifting, and wait and let the shop do it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    I suspected as much. This can be a bit daunting for first timer. Also, if the cable is in fact frayed, it can be tricky getting it out of the shifter. If you are not comfortable, then I suggest that you just avoid the problematic gear combination when riding, be extra gentle when shifting, and wait and let the shop do it.
    I'll have to disagree with both points.

-Anyone who's breathing is likely more competent than I was the first time I changed a cable and it really is/was a no brainer even then. And anyone who owns shimano and cycles really 'needs' to learn this and what better time than when the bike shop is closed for 2-3 weeks.

-When frayed cable is suspected just avoiding problem gears is a really bad idea. That issue really needs to be taken care of right away or he'll end up riding home with one gear and have a heck of time picking exploded cable bits out of his shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post

-Anyone who's breathing is likely more competent than I was the first time I changed a cable and it really is/was a no brainer even then. And anyone who owns shimano and cycles really 'needs' to learn this and what better time than when the bike shop is closed for 2-3 weeks.

-When frayed cable is suspected just avoiding problem gears is a really bad idea. That issue really needs to be taken care of right away or he'll end up riding home with one gear and have a heck of time picking exploded cable bits out of his shifter.
    ^This^
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Yea, I'd wait and take it to the shop. That cable is done, you can't avoid that gear cause, a, it's not the gear it's the cable.
    ... or call a friend.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member

You don't have to agree with me, but from what I have seen thus far, I am not going to tell the OP to just do it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    A couple of things I'd point out. 1) Not knowing what kind of bike he has, we can't really say how easy it might be for OP to replace the cable. Some internal routed bikes are a major PITA to run cables, others not as much. 2) We don't actually know that the problem is a frayed cable so, doesn't make sense to say that the cable is "done" or to advise the OP based on that.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Cables do NOT stretch. Ever. .....
    No, but the little ball/cylinder at the end will 'bed in' after being used for a while. This may not be actual 'stretch', but you still gotta tighten the cable up.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    No, but the little ball/cylinder at the end will 'bed in' after being used for a while. This may not be actual 'stretch', but you still gotta tighten the cable up.
    Bed in? You mean if you don't do the right things when you installed the cable? AFAIC a bike should not need any adjustments after it's been cabled. You do the right things and the housing gets compressed, the ferrules get seated and everything should be good. All these shop mechanics are always saying 'break-in this' and 'break-in that'...bring the bike back when it stops shifting perfectly and we'll 'touch it up'. BS. Team mechanics don't have these issues and we're changing cables/housing all the time. Imagine me telling my rider 'I just put new cables on your bike...pull over after 50 miles and I'll adjust the shifting'...
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    some "low hanging fruits" I would do first:

1. As mentioned by others, check the cable for fraying, you check this at inside the shifter where the cable ends in its stop-ball. You'll need to shift the lever to see this cable ball. If there's a fray, it'll be here. Cable frays almost never happen in the middle of the cable.

2. undo the cable from the rear derailleur and reset the whole thing. Don't mess the with limit screws because limit screws don't move by themselves. But you should check the limits when you undo the cable though. Check by using your hand to push the derailleur up the cassette and then letting the derailleur fall back down the cassette. If limits are set correctly, then the chain will not fall off the cassette on neither side.

If the above don't fix your issue, then you have a kink somewhere along the cable housing. Then it's time to check the housing! This can be a pain since you might need to undo the bar tape to check on the housing. And changing the housing is more involved since this is more expensive than a cable, and you'll need a bigass cutter to cut the housing
    Last edited by aclinjury; 07-12-2020 at 06:19 AM.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Anybody who owns 5700/6700/7900 Shimano shifters or a later generation should know that they like to eat cables. I generally get about 1500-2000 miles out of a rear shifter cable and only got 800 miles out of my last one! If you suddenly have crappy shifting, it is almost certainly this.

This!!!!! Although I have to correct you on one thing. He will actually be riding home with two gears.

Not quite. Internally routed cables can be a real byotch to change unless you are a bike mechanic who does this repetitively. I have replaced internally routed cables a couple of times and it was about a 2 hour job. My deteriorating close-up eyesight doesn't help. Furthermore, by the time a cable starts to fray inside a Shimano shifter, there will almost always be a few cable fragments in there to find and fish out.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.