Shifting Problem
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015

Shifting Problem

I have a Cannondale XR800 bike with a 53t large chainring and a 11-32 9 speed rear cassette. It has a Shimano 105 rear derailleur, but i have no idea what year or size cage. I can't shift into the two largest cogs on the rear cassette when I'm using the 53t chainring. It looks like the derailleur is too short. Would a long cage derailleur solve this issue, or is there something else I can do? Any help would be appreciated!

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Without knowing more details, no way to know. If the rear derailleur is 9 speed 105 there is no way it will ever work properly. A long cage derailleur won't make it work any better. What you need is a mountain bike derailleur. Any Shimano that isn't 10speed (Dyna-sys) will work as long as you are inside the capacity of the derailleur, meaning you should be fine w/ a medium cage (XT M772-GS). This has been discussed dozens and dozens of times on this forum, try searching next time.
    #promechaniclife

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wkumtrider View Post
    is there something else I can do?
    Compact crank and a smaller cassette.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't shift into the two largest cogs on the rear cassette when I'm using the 53t chainring. It looks like the derailleur is too short.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "can't shift". If you mean it jams because the derailleur cage is stretched all the way forward so there's no more slack in the chain, then your chain is too short, regardless of whether you have a suitable derailleur.

On the other hand, if the derailleur just stops moving inboard even but there's still slack in the derailleur cage, then you have a adjustment issue (limit screws and/or cable adjustment) that must be addressed first.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I guess it's also possible that your chain is too short. It might be that your low end limit screw is too tight, but then it wouldn't shift in the small ring either. A final possibility is that the cable is just waaay too tight.

However, I believe that the capacity for a SS rear mech is 27 or 28 teeth, so the longer cage might be the best solution.

Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    I guess it's also possible that your chain is too short. It might be that your low end limit screw is too tight, but then it wouldn't shift in the small ring either. A final possibility is that the cable is just waaay too tight.

However, I believe that the capacity for a SS rear mech is 27 or 28 teeth, so the longer cage might be the best solution.
    While the chain may be too short, a long cage derailleur of anything but the most recent vintage will NOT help the OP's situation.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "can't shift". If you mean it jams because the derailleur cage is stretched all the way forward so there's no more slack in the chain, then your chain is too short, regardless of whether you have a suitable derailleur.

On the other hand, if the derailleur just stops moving inboard even but there's still slack in the derailleur cage, then you have a adjustment issue (limit screws and/or cable adjustment) that must be addressed first.
    Hi JCavilia, it jams because the derailleur cage is stretched all the way forward. I was thinking a longer chain would work. Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by wkumtrider View Post
    Hi JCavilia, it jams because the derailleur cage is stretched all the way forward. I was thinking a longer chain would work. Thanks for the response.
    It may, you'll have to put one on to know for sure. In this case you're outside of the 'capacity' of the derailleur so I'd recommend sizing the chain big/big so you know for sure it's long enough. You might have to deal w/ a little slack in the small ring/small cog(s) to get it to work on the opposite end.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks cxwrench. I need a new chain anyway. I will give that a try and see how it goes.