Shimano 10 speed chain / Connex quick link question
    DPN
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007

Shimano 10 speed chain / Connex quick link question

I have searched and seem to get lots of different answers.

Bike is a 2007 Pinarello Galileo - Ultegra equipped.

I have a Shimano Ultegra 10 speed super narrow chain. I believe it's Shimano number CN-6600. It uses the special replacement connecting pin for the narrow type chain. The chain width is 5.88 mm, as close as I can measure.

I understand that if a pin is removed it MUST be replaced with the special replacement pin. I have some of those.

However, I would LIKE to add a Connex-type link to allow easy removal of the chain. I know that Shimano doesn't recommend removing the chain, but I'd like to be able to remove it and clean it thoroughly on occasion.

I see that some of these quick-links are for 6.1mm width Shimano 10 speed chains....but I don't see anything specifically for the Shimano super narrow

Is anyone using a quick link on THIS chain, and if so, what did you use that works?

I seem to remember someone saying that the Connex link for Campy should be used on the Shimano chain, becasue of the width...

Thanks,

DPN

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Use the KMC link. It's designed for their 5.88mm DX10SC chain, is available separately (cheaper than the Connex), and works well on the Shimano chain. Trek is shipping their 10s Shimano equipped bikes with it.

DPN
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Use the KMC link. It's designed for their 5.88mm DX10SC chain, is available separately (cheaper than the Connex), and works well on the Shimano chain. Trek is shipping their 10s Shimano equipped bikes with it.
    Thanks, Richard...

Is the KMC a removable type quick link, or a single use emergency repair type link???

Thanks again...

DPN

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004

Connex Works Fine

I used the Connex 10S1 connector. Performance has it here:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5134

It is specifically designed for Shimano 10 speed. I do not use Ultegra but I have used it with a Dura Ace chain without any problems. In fact, a few months ago I broke a chain after 4,000 miles and the failure point was not the Connex link but rather an original pin.

BTW, I am 6'1", 220 lbs. and a fairly aggressive rider.

DPN
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sbindra

It is specifically designed for Shimano 10 speed. I do not use Ultegra but I have used it with a Dura Ace chain without any problems. In fact, a few months ago I broke a chain after 4,000 miles and the failure point was not the Connex link but rather an original pin.

Thanks, Sbindra...

Do you know if your Dura Ace chain is the CN-7801 super narrow (5.88mm)? There are 10 speed Shimano chains that are 6.1mm wide .

Thanks, again,

DPN

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DPN
    Thanks, Sbindra...

Do you know if your Dura Ace chain is the CN-7801 super narrow (5.88mm)? There are 10 speed Shimano chains that are 6.1mm wide .

Thanks, again,

DPN
    I am pretty sure that I am using the CN-7800. I do not know the width. For my next chain, I have the KMC 10 speed Shimano compatible chain with the removable link. A couple of months ago, Performance had that 50% off so I got the chain and link for $30 instead of the $60 regular price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

No!

Quote Originally Posted by sbindra

The 10S1 link is NOT designed for a Shimano chain. It's made to fit a wipperman "shimano compatible" chain. The difference is the width across the inner plates. The 10S1 link is too narrow and provides little or no side clearance, instead of the .005-.007 inch clearance that is normal. Using this link , you risk popping the head off one of the pins in a cross chain situation.

The Campy compatible version of the connex link, marked 10 SPEED fits a Shimano 10 chain perfectly. If you buy a Forster superlink, you can choose from an orginal Campy 10/ Shimano 10 version or the new narrower link for the Campy UN or SRAM 10 speed chains. The narrower loink should not be used on a Shimano 10 chain.

As for the KMC links, whether they are appropriate depends on side clearance. If one is installed on a Shimano chain, it should be checked with a feeler gage for adequate side clearance.

Although there may be different outer widths of Shimano 10 chains out there, I have the super narrow DA chain that is the same outside width as a Campy UN chain, but it's wider across the inner plates and needs a connectore link with more inside width.
    Last edited by C-40; 11-09-2007 at 01:54 PM.

Mar 2008
    Update to this thread and Connex 10S1 with Shimano HG (Dura Ace 7800) chains. I ordered a wipperman 10S1 from Performancebike.com in June 2008 (yeah, overpriced at $12 + 8 for shipping).

I received the "new" Connex 10S1 link with the "10-SPEED" stamping on the edge of faces). The photo of the link on the site is incorrect, or I just got very lucky. The wipperman box states "CHAIN WPN 10SPD SHI CNCT". Performance SKU/Barcode is 400013361226.

It works like a charm. My belief is that Wipperman is only distributing the new compatible connex link now. I have no feeler guages, but this does have more side flex than the original DA chain links.