Shimano 105 front derailleur 5801
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Shimano 105 front derailleur 5801

Having a problem get all the slack out of cable. I can't seen to get it taught enough to be able to move it the big ring. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Are you setting up the derailleur EXACTLY as Shimano shows? I'm guessing not. As I'm not in the same room w/ you it's impossible to tell you what to do.
    Reply w/ how you're attempting to get it to work. It's not like ANY previous derailleur.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Shimano 105 front derailleur 8501

Hi- The video that I am following to set this is https://youtu.be/42bSAnk9_zQ.
    According to the speaker these instructions are based on Shimano instruction manual. No matter how hard I pull this cable I cannot get it taught enough. Any suggestions? Thx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Put your shifters in the littlist sprocket position.
    BANNED

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by hartley1 View Post
    Hi- The video that I am following to set this is https://youtu.be/42bSAnk9_zQ.
    According to the speaker these instructions are based on Shimano instruction manual. No matter how hard I pull this cable I cannot get it taught enough. Any suggestions? Thx
    Ok, you're obviously doing it wrong. Try this:

1) As Duriel posted, make sure the front shifter is in the full low position. There are 4 positions, so 3 clicks. Click the paddle a bunch to be sure.
    2) Before you attach the cable to the derailleur there are a few things to do. Hold the cable and actuate the shifter...pull some on the cable while doing this. Do it a bunch of times...4,5, 6 times. You're seating everything in place. Not crazy hard, but pull. Make sure the derailleur is in the proper position (height...2-3mm above the big ring teeth, and angle...very slightly tail in, then use the adjustment screw inside the linkage to push the tail of the derailleur out so the cage is parallel to the c-rings, then tighten the mounting screw). You can do all this w/ the chain on the bike.
    3) Adjust the low limit in enough that the outer cage plate is over the outside edge of the big ring just like the video says. You're basically cheating the limit screw to gain some cable tension later on. This step has nothing to do w/ shifting performance...yet.
    4) Attach the cable. Make damn sure the little tooth on the black part of the clamp, the part under the silver washer the bolt goes through is touching the body of the derailleur. That's to say it's completely against where the cable tension screw will touch it. Make sure the cable adjustment screw is screwed out...you should be able to see a bunch of threads. Watch the video. Sometimes getting the tab/tooth on the black bit to move is kind of a *****, I use my allen key to push it.
    5) Back off the low limit screw til you have the correct clearance, Shimano says .0-.5mm. (small ring, large cog) You actually do all the adjusting of the front derailleur w/ the chain on the big cog in back.
    6) Shift up to the big ring, then hit the inner paddle once to 'trim' the derailleur. Check the tension marks on the derailleur to make sure they're lined up. Obviously use the tension screw to adjust. If you did the other steps correctly you'll barely have to adjust tension, you might even have too much.
    7)Hit the brake lever part of the shifter to move the derailleur all they way out to full high gear position. Chain still on the large cog. Adjust the high limit w/ the INSIDE of the cage so there is .0-.5mm clearance between it and the chain. Again, big/big, and don't look at the outside of the cage as with old derailleurs, use the inside.
    Once you've done this you're finished. Follow these steps to the letter and your front derailleur will be great. Mess up and it will suck.
    Last edited by cxwrench; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:47 AM.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Shimano 105 front derailleur 8501

Thank you