Shimano 11sp chain with a SRAM cassette???
    Jack of no trades

Question Shimano 11sp chain with a SRAM cassette???

I having serious issues dialing in the rear derailleur with a Shimano chain and a SRAM cassette. Both are 11 speed. Are the two compatible?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood Devil View Post
    I having serious issues dialing in the rear derailleur with a Shimano chain and a SRAM cassette. Both are 11 speed. Are the two compatible?
    Yep, any problems you are having isn't the combination of brands. Make sure you have the chain on facing the right way, letters on the outer plates should face out not in. If you have it right, maybe check your rear DR alignment, and make sure your shifter cable isn't worn out/dragging.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

Jack of no trades
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Yep, any problems you are having isn't the combination of brands. Make sure you have the chain on facing the right way, letters on the outer plates should face out not in. If you have it right, maybe check your rear DR alignment, and make sure your shifter cable isn't worn out/dragging.
    Yeah, that's what I was wondering -- the cable has 25k miles on it (indoor use), and the RD (Shimano Ultegra) has over 30k.

What gets me is that everything was working and shifting fine until I got my new Kickr. Threw a new chain on (Shimano CN-HG601-11) to go with the new cassette included with the Kickr (some Sunweb 11 sp). I noticed that while it was shifting alright, it was rather noisy and clunky in certain gears, and was suddenly having trouble with the extreme ends of the cassetts, the 11 and the 28 gears. So last night, after about a week, I threw on a 11sp SRAM cassetts, thinking the problem was the cheap Sunweb cassette that Wahoo had on. When I did that it feels like I'm riding over a grated road surface; the vibration in each gear is brutal, no matter how much I adjust the derailleur. And the chain was installed properly with the writing facing out, and the link arrow pointed in the direction of rotation.

So, I guess I'll change out the cable and throw a new derailleur on and see if that improves the situation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood Devil View Post
    -- the cable has 25k miles on it (indoor use),

Holy sht dude. It's a miracle that hasn't busted. And with 25k indoors I'd imagine your bike is pretty well gunked up with salt.

Jack of no trades
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Holy sht dude. It's a miracle that hasn't busted. And with 25k indoors I'd imagine your bike is pretty well gunked up with salt.
    I just pulled the cable this morning in prep for installation later on today. Honestly ... the damn this was perfect! No fraying, no gunk build-up or anything. I was going to put it back and leave it alone but wound up fraying the end trying to get it back through the rear derailleur.

And I have all sensitive areas of the bike layered in silicone to protect against the deluge of sweat. Plus, I wipe it down with a damp cloth at the end of each session as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Do Not replace the DR! Rear DR alignment isn't a DR problem, it's the hanger needs tweeked. But you can't check alignment on a wheel off trainer really.

If the problem started when you moved it to the wheel on trainer I would
    make sure it's all the way in the dropouts straight and the skewer is snug.

Is the problem with the 2 ends of the cassette that it won't shift into the high and low gears? If so, check your high and low limit adjustments on the rear DR, those are probably different on the trainer than with a wheel on it (although I would have guessed it would just be one and not both ends if it was a limit screw problem)
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

Jack of no trades
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Do Not replace the DR! Rear DR alignment isn't a DR problem, it's the hanger needs tweeked. But you can't check alignment on a wheel off trainer really.

If the problem started when you moved it to the wheel on trainer I would
    make sure it's all the way in the dropouts straight and the skewer is snug.

Is the problem with the 2 ends of the cassette that it won't shift into the high and low gears? If so, check your high and low limit adjustments on the rear DR, those are probably different on the trainer than with a wheel on it (although I would have guessed it would just be one and not both ends if it was a limit screw problem)
    Well, I actually changed the cable and housing, and swapped out the rear derailleur (since I had a new one in reserve anyway).

Reinstalled the chain ... and same nightmare ensued. Couldn't dial in the shifting. Eventually said F it!, and threw the old Ultegra cassette and chain back on, dialed in the rear derailleur, and the shifting is once again spot on.

So the problem was either the chain not liking non-Shimano cassettes, or I for some reason had two bad cassettes. I can't figure it out. Now I'll just search around for a good deal on a new Ultegra cassette and chain to eventually replace those I have reinstalled, and I'll be good to go.