RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2015

Shimano 5800 quick release on front brake not opening

I hope some may be able to help. I was cleaning my bike one last time before putting it away for the winter and I noticed that the quick release on the front brake only opens half way. The brake itself is a 5800 model. No matter how much I push on it, it refuses to open (granted I don't want to break the thing). I've detached the cable and tried opening without it and it made no difference. I can't see anything preventing it from opening. The weird thing was that it was working fine last week. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here's a video of the problem:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ik2Ung_vwC3sq7oPeTM2bNRxmrrRvWYw/view?usp=sharing

RoadBikeReview Member
    Possibly some tiny debris stuck in there?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Rub it............
    Gunk in the pivots?

Fix your video link
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Something doesn't look right with how the cable is installed in the video. It looks rotated 180 deg, which can cause the screw head to jam against the arm when turning the QR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Most of the time issue is usually a cable issue when calipers do not release.
    RC

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Possibly some tiny debris stuck in there?
    I was thinking the same thing but I don't see any way you can easily clean it out. All of the parts of the quick release are attached directly to the caliper.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2015
    I tried moving it around to no avail. It happens without a cable installed as well.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    This is the guts of a 6800. I assume that the 5800 has the same/similar guts. I'd bet you have a piece of grit or something in the ball detent (or a broken detent) It doesn't take much to jam up a ball detent.

Unfortunately it looks like you can't take apart a 5800 quick release. There's no screw do disassemble it like the 6800. It appears the 5800 is riveted or something. I'd say you're screwed. Live with it. Or buy a new one. 5800 brakes can be found cheap on ebay. If you're gonna go that route, might as well try forcing yours open. Maybe it'll clear it out. Maybe it'll ruin it, then get a new one.

5800 parts exploded view
    http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-BR-5800-3716.pdf

6800 parts exploded view
    http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-BR-6800-3599A.pdf
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    This is the guts of a 6800. I assume that the 5800 has the same/similar guts. I'd bet you have a piece of grit or something in the ball detent (or a broken detent) It doesn't take much to jam up a ball detent.

Unfortunately it looks like you can't take apart a 5800 quick release. There's no screw do disassemble it like the 6800. It appears the 5800 is riveted or something. I'd say you're screwed. Live with it. Or buy a new one. 5800 brakes can be found cheap on ebay. If you're gonna go that route, might as well try forcing yours open. Maybe it'll clear it out. Maybe it'll ruin it, then get a new one.

5800 parts exploded view
    http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-BR-5800-3716.pdf

6800 parts exploded view
    http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-BR-6800-3599A.pdf
    Murphy's Law: If it jams, force it. If it breaks in the process, it needed replacing anyway.

Or you could do the unmentionable and douce it with WD-40. WARNING, remove your wheel first so you don't get WD-40 on your brake track!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks for the diagram. I think I'll give it a shot and try to force it open. If it breaks, Chainreaction has new ones for $25.