Shimano 9 speed brake caliper with 10 speed drivetrain
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

Shimano 9 speed brake caliper with 10 speed drivetrain

I've looked on the internet and called various bike shops, but keep getting different answers...

Will the 9 speed brake calipers (BR-7700) work with 10-speed brifters (ST-6770)? I heard there will be little/no modulation but still usable to yes it will work perfect to no it won't work at all. What's the right answer? Yes, I'd like to save $100 but not at the expense of having to replace more than $100 worth of stuff after crashing since the brakes don't work

Lost in Space...
    The correct answer is:
    I heard there will be little/no modulation but still usable
    Compatibility

The new brake cable pull geometry means pairing the new levers with existing brakes will yield a particularly firm feel with less power than intended but it'll still work. Unlike Dura-Ace, however, the new levers are fully backwards compatible with older derailleurs and vice-versa as there was no major change to the front derailleur cable pull ratio. Likewise, chainring and cassette spacing use the same 10-speed standard as before so those are interchangeable with older versions as well.
    The above statement is in harmony with what I already knew, but the source is probably more reliable than some guy on a web forum.

If you search google for brake cable pull + compatibility + the applicable model number, you'll find lots of discussions on this.
    Last edited by headloss; 10-29-2013 at 05:50 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I can't answer your question directly, but will offer this: I have one bike with 6700 levers and 6500 brakes and it is fine. It doesn't have the stopping "power" of 6700 and 6700, but it is as good as 6500 and 6500.

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    In my experiences, mixing later brakes with earlier shifters or vice-versa, there are differences but they are small. I've found that Kool Stop salmon brake pads make a large difference in brake feel and modulation and can benefit most any brake system.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!