Shimano BBR-60 Bottom Bracket Groan
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014

Shimano BBR-60 Bottom Bracket Groan

Just developed a "groan" from the NDS and believe it to be my threaded BBR-60 BB.

I pulled the cranks hoping there was a place I could inject some grease, then re-torque, but there's nowhere readily appararent.

Is my only choice to remove the threaded cups and grease from inside them? Haven't heard of a threaded BB "groaning" like this.

thx,

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    No BB has a place to 'inject' grease.

Grease the threads. Put it back in. If it still groans, but in a new BB. It's a <$20 BB.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I agree on the $20 BB. Sometimes there's a way to lift a seal and inject some grease. Believe some of the Colnago BBs allow this.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    I agree on the $20 BB. Sometimes there's a way to lift a seal and inject some grease. Believe some of the Colnago BBs allow this.
    The BBR-60 is just a threaded Alum hub with regular sealed bearings pressed in. You 'could' lift the seals and inject grease. But I guarantee, your groan isn't coming from inside the bearing. If it were, they're completely shot.

If the groan isn't coming from the threads, it's coming from the Alum hub/bearing interface. You 'could' press out the bearings, grease the hub, and press them back in. Hoping you don't damage them. A big wast of time for a $20 BB
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    When did Colnago start making bottom brackets?
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Not sure what they are using with that new BB standard they have, but the seals were more easily pried off and replaced. When I look at the Shimano BBR-60 it looks like prying off the seals could ruin it.

Pulled both sides, greased and torqued. We'll see and as TLG states, other than that, easiest to just drop $20 on a new Ultegra BB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Not sure what they are using with that new BB standard they have, but the seals were more easily pried off and replaced. When I look at the Shimano BBR-60 it looks like prying off the seals could ruin it.

Pulled both sides, greased and torqued. We'll see and as TLG states, other than that, easiest to just drop $20 on a new Ultegra BB.
    Yeah, this is a non-service item, wear it out, chuck and replace.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Other than perhaps very old Phil Wood BB's, I'm unaware of any BB per se that has grease injection options. There have been some frame makers that have included grease ports on the BB shells and there have been a few kits over the years to allow grease injection into many/most types of BB's - again going through the BB shell. Grease injection ports on turn of the century bikes, with one piece cranks were very common. Such systems made a little more sense for off-road bikes and touring bikes that are subjected to lots of grit and water intrusion, or when using very pricey and difficult to service BB's. I've used grease injection for BB's on old Merlin's, and though quick and easy, it is pretty darn messy. For a BB that only costs $20 and 10 minutes time to replace, I'd just replace the darn thing.

Banned Sock Puppet
    A $17 BB to be exact:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-BB...Bottom-Bracket

Not in the pic where it says "sealed cartridge unit" as in cannot insert grease.

As others have said, if greasing threads and re-installing doesn't work, toss it and buy a new one for $17.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Jenson has about the most expensive shipping of any retailer.
    $7.95 to ship a tiny BB. So really... it's $24.95 to be exact.
    Plus.... "This product is currently out of stock"