Shimano DI2 hacks
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019

Shimano DI2 hacks

I have a road bike fitted with Ultegra R8000 Hydraulic groupset. I want to change the front and rear mechs to DI2 but given the cost of changing the shifters to DI2 versions I am looking for a hack that would allow me to retain the existing mechanical shifters to operate the hydro brakes, and instead use the R600 climbers satelite shifters, incorporated into the hoods or under the bar tape, to operate the front and rear DI2 mechs. This will keep the conversation costs down, requiring (I presume) only the purchase of the satellite shifter, the under stem junction box, a battery, the mechs and wiring loom. I know the TRP guys have a Tube video showing something similar for converting the Hylix brakes, so my question is has anyone else done the conversation Ive described above and if it worked successfully can they give details of how they did it. I realise it will require 2 R600s to be used, one on the left for the front mech and the other on the right for the rear mech, but Id also like to wire in simple momentary switches onto the tops to work in unison with the R600s.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by auldain View Post
    I have a road bike fitted with Ultegra R8000 Hydraulic groupset. I want to change the front and rear mechs to DI2 but given the cost of changing the shifters to DI2 versions I am looking for a hack that would allow me to retain the existing mechanical shifters to operate the hydro brakes, and instead use the R600 climbers satelite shifters, incorporated into the hoods or under the bar tape, to operate the front and rear DI2 mechs. This will keep the conversation costs down, requiring (I presume) only the purchase of the satellite shifter, the under stem junction box, a battery, the mechs and wiring loom. I know the TRP guys have a Tube video showing something similar for converting the Hylix brakes, so my question is has anyone else done the conversation Ive described above and if it worked successfully can they give details of how they did it. I realise it will require 2 R600s to be used, one on the left for the front mech and the other on the right for the rear mech, but Id also like to wire in simple momentary switches onto the tops to work in unison with the R600s.
    "Conversation"? I know what you mean but come on. I don't think the R600 will shift a front derailleur, it only works w/ the rear.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    "Conversation"? I know what you mean but come on. I don't think the R600 will shift a front derailleur, it only works w/ the rear.
    Well....if the Di2 system was set for full synchro shifting--you could do everything from the R600.

Some Di2 button systems are rear-specific and some aren't. Never played with an R600, although IIRCthe R610 sprint shifters are rear-specific IIRC, whereas the R671 TT shifters aren't.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "