Shimano friction shifter adjustment
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

Shimano friction shifter adjustment

Is there any way to adjust the drag on modern Shimano friction shifters? I have two identical sets of Shimano 8-speed bar end shifters (friction/index front and friction rear) and an older similar set of S.T. Barcons, and one particular Shimano front shifter requires way more torque than the ones on the other bikes. It`s the newest set, but still ought to be plenty broken in by now, I would think. I tried losening the mount screw just in case and that didn`t do anything but make for a wiggly lever. Maybe some method of strategic lubing that will free it up, but still not let the derailler spring win the tug o war? Shims someplace? It sure would be nice if that particular shifter were as easy to pull as the others. BTW, the cable and housing are almost new.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Two things other than the adjustable internal friction in the front shifter itself determine level of effort: lever arm of the front derailleur (distance from cable clamp to pivot point) and the strength of the front derailleur return spring. In addition, a strong front derailleur return spring pulls the shift lever back with more force than usual, so you need to tighten the lever more than usual. Most likely, the problem is not in the shifter itself, but in the design of the front derailleur and/or the strength of its return spring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Now that I think about it, that makes sense. If it were the shifter itself, most likely it would be hard to move in both directions, but it `s only hard pulling cable. It pushes down to release cable easilly. Okay- I guess I just live with it. Thanks, Wim.