Shimano Master Link
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

Shimano Master Link / Ultrasonic Cleaner

Finally worked my way into 11 speed and low and behold a master link for Shimano.

New thinking ultrasonic cleaner now with Shimano removable.

Anybody ultrasonic cleaning chains?

Reuse Shimano link?

Thinking maybe next level chit here....
    Last edited by saddle tramp; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:21 PM.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Technically no. They're 'single use' according to Shimano. If you plan on cleaning your chain a bunch I'd say maybe replace it every other time. I definitely wouldn't go out and buy an ultrasonic cleaner just because I have a Shimano chain w/ a connecting link...that's just stupid. Clean it on the bike w/ some degreaser and a soapy sponge.
    #promechaniclife

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I have an ultrasonic cleaner, I use it very, very sparingly. It is a handy tool, but itís not great to completely flush your chain of all lubricant in the rollers and pins. That said, I have certainly reused shimano links, but I usually just put them in the tool bag for emergency repair duty.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I reuse Shimano and KMC links a couple times. Should you? Technically no. But I've never had one break. I've only ever broke a chain once (not at a quick link).

I have an ultrasonic cleaner and use it occasionally for chains and cassettes. I get a lot of miles from a chain, and rarely clean it. So usually half life I put it in the ultrasonic for a good clean.
    Here's a tip: Put the chain in a zip lock back. Fill the bag with simple green. Put that in your ultrasonic cleaner filled with just water. It works just as well and clean up is a snap. You cleaner doesn't get dirty at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    but I usually just put them in the tool bag for emergency repair duty.
    I keep a couple used ones in my bag in case of emergency. They're good enough to get you home. I've saved a few friends rides with them.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I reuse Shimano and KMC links a couple times. Should you? Technically no. But I've never had one break. I've only ever broke a chain once (not at a quick link).

I have an ultrasonic cleaner and use it occasionally for chains and cassettes. I get a lot of miles from a chain, and rarely clean it. So usually half life I put it in the ultrasonic for a good clean.
    Here's a tip: Put the chain in a zip lock back. Fill the bag with simple green. Put that in your ultrasonic cleaner filled with just water. It works just as well and clean up is a snap. You cleaner doesn't get dirty at all.

I keep a couple used ones in my bag in case of emergency. They're good enough to get you home. I've saved a few friends rides with them.
    and how/where do you discard the Simple green sludge afterward? All the guys i know use rags to clean their chains and they just throw it in the trashcan, ugh not environmently friendly?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    and how/where do you discard the Simple green sludge afterward? All the guys i know use rags to clean their chains and they just throw it in the trashcan, ugh not environmently friendly?
    I pour it in with my motor oil when I take it to recycle.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I pour it in with my motor oil when I take it to recycle.
    You're polluting the waste stream when you do that!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    As long as you have to snap the link together with force, like having to stand on a pedal, I think the link is still good.