Shimano Road Caliper fixing pins and a confused bike shop
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Shimano Road Caliper fixing pins and a confused bike shop

I purchased a new Ultegra R8070 Di2 Hydraulic road bike groupset from a major online bike shop. Very happy with the price, delivery, etc however I have become a bit concerned that the caliper fixing pin (Y8N207000) was not included for either flat mount mount caliper, which I assume is a required safety critical component. The picture below shows it in the dealers manual on page 100-108 (https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-R8050-01-ENG.pdf).

After contacting them requesting the part they:
    - Didn't know what these pins were
    - Couldn't see the pin in any other of their stock
    - Have never had this complaint/request after selling hundreds of calipers/groupsets
    - Their workshop which sells bikes had never heard of them or used them before

I can source these pins from my LBS no problem but my concern now why this major online bike shop has not used these fixing pins for any of their bikes and never provided them to people that have bought the calipers or groupsets? It is an obscure pin and a new method with the flat mount caliper standard so I can understand for most people it would be easy to miss especially if you never received the pin and you aren't provided a dealers manual that shows you where this pin is needed. For a bike bike shop I would have thought that someone there would know what they are if the sell and install groupsets

Questions:
    1. Has anyone ordered and installed a new shimano flatmount road disc brake groupset and did you receive the fixing pins and install it?
    2. Am I being silly and this pin isn't required and it shouldn't neccesarily be provided?
    3. Should this bike shop know better and should I recommend for them to contact all previous customers of groupsets and bikes that they should check if they have these pins and make sure they install them?

Shimano Road Caliper fixing pins and a confused bike shop-caliper-fixing-pin.png

'brifter' is a lame word.
    If Shimano didn't think it was necessary they wouldn't engineer the screws to work w/ them. They're on every flat mount brake I've ever seen. Every Shimano disc road bike on our floor has them. There are 2 different safety pins, the one you have seen in the diagram posted and another that clips around the flat mount adapter for the rear brake. The front brake has the single clip (basically it's an old V-brake pad clip).

I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks. Makes sense to me as well.

Unfortunately Iíve come to the end of my email conversation with them as itís going nowhere. Itís pretty apparent that they are annoyed with me and are sticking to their response. I was going to push the fact that Iím disappointed that they havenít provided everything Iíve paid for and should have received, they need some Shimano training, and they should do a recall of some sorts to send everyone out pins that they havenít received or that wasnít installed on their bike. Iím sure Shimano would be the ones that get the bad rep if peopleís calipers start falling off with no safety backup. Iím definitely getting some pins and putting them in. But I donít have time to keep on discussing it with them and my frustration will start showing through, which I have tried to remain diplomatic so far.

Hereís their final email:

ďThanks for your reply,

The stock that I have checked and do not come with these, I have checked with our workshop manager, who has fitted hundreds of these, and he has said that they are not required as long as the bolts are tightened up correctly.
    Thanks
    and Kind regardsĒ

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cookieater View Post
    Iím sure Shimano would be the ones that get the bad rep if peopleís calipers start falling off with no safety backup. Iím definitely getting some pins and putting them in. But I donít have time to keep on discussing it with them and my frustration will start showing through, which I have tried to remain diplomatic so far.
    Contact Shimano and let them know.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah, that might be the best way forward; send Shimano the email chain. Then because they are a UK bike shop giant then hopefully Shimano will follow up with them and hopefully their past customers should ideally get contacted to have their brakes checked.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Forward them the photo I posted.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I will thanks. It's a good shot and I liked your comment about why would they engineer it if it wasn't needed. Especially for a bolt thats upside down and is just asking to fall out, where the little pin will stop it unthreading to start with. I had already sent them the below two youtube's showing that they should have come in the box. I'm a bit dumbfounded with them to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiXQMr-uaGg (See at 7:10)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAzk6Ws5VwE (See from 5:50 and 06:30)