Shimano RS685 Hydro-Mechanical shifters - Anyone using them?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Shimano RS685 Hydro-Mechanical shifters - Anyone using them?

Anyone bite the bullet yet and spring for a set of the Shimano RS685 shifters with the hydraulic brake lines? I'm considering a set for my gravel bike at some point and I'm not finding too many real world stories for these yet.

I'm currently running D/A 9000 shifters with cable actuated TRP Spyres, which seem nice but I think the Shimanos might be even nicer, based on reports from the R785 Di2 shifters.

I'd love to get some real world feedback on the shifting and the braking from these levers and the corresponding brakes.

Thanks!

banned
    Jul 2013
    I have it with Di2 so I cannot directly answer your question, but you will not be disappointed. It will be a definite upgrade from TRP. I would have bought what you were after but they hadn't come out yet (a year ago) and I was impatient. I have no regrets about the Di2. I should imagine the conventional ultegra shifting will rival your D/A.

Having those brakes on steep gravel trails (and our rough steep mountainous roads) is key to my survival.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I had the RS685 shifters for about 2 months before I switched to the DI2 version. During that time they worked perfectly. The shifting worked exactly the same way as any other Shimano mechanical shifter. The braking was outstanding as you would expect from disk brakes. I have 160mm rotors front and rear and that a lot more braking power than my old rim brakes and also better modulation. And they work the same in good and bad weather. The best thing is I get get the braking power I need with less hand pressure than rim brakes. When riding on steep gravel roads with rim brakes I would get hand cramps on long, winding, downhills. With the hydraulic brakes I never have hand problems at all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
    Anyone bite the bullet yet and spring for a set of the Shimano RS685 shifters with the hydraulic brake lines? I'm considering a set for my gravel bike at some point and I'm not finding too many real world stories for these yet.

I'm currently running D/A 9000 shifters with cable actuated TRP Spyres, which seem nice but I think the Shimanos might be even nicer, based on reports from the R785 Di2 shifters.

I'd love to get some real world feedback on the shifting and the braking from these levers and the corresponding brakes.

Thanks!
    I have a set that I put on a Crux as an upgrade. The brakes are incredible, just like XT mtb brakes. The shifters also work really well, just like the std Ultegra 11sp shifters. The only thing you'll notice is the lever body is a little bigger/wider and if you have small hands it may seem a little off.

FWIW, I'm selling my Crux and going to put the stock TRPs back on before selling. I'm looking to sell my RS685s, if you're interested.