Shimano shifter eats another rear cable.............. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    The newer Campy Chorus set is certainly enticing with the 12 speed and it even has a 48/32 crankset option and 11-34 cassette option. Not sure I like the idea of carbon crank arms though. And of course as I said before, wouldn't that necessitate changing the cassette carrier on my wheelsets?
    I've been using Campy carbon crank arms for 3 years. Why, did you hear some things from other users?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    I've been using Campy carbon crank arms for 3 years. Why, did you hear some things from other users?
    I've also got a Campagnolo carbon crank, Chorus with over 16,000 miles and no issues.
    Too old to ride plastic

Banned Sock Puppet
    Can't say that I have. I guess it's just a gut feeling about putting that kind of force on something thay is essentially plastic. But hey, if it works, it works.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    @Lombard, PM me your address and I'll mail you a meter of cable housing liner to user for swapping cables. It makes changing internally routed cables super easy. Had to purchase 30m worth, so have some extra...

In this video, see from ~0:50 to ~1:20:
    Are we just gonna ignore the fact that this guy has a Dura-Ace flashlight?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I'm going to go with CF being stronger than steel/wt. But they guy probably has some big thighs, post them up!
    BANNED

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Existing cassettes, really? How about existing crankset? That would be nice if I could do that - only have to replace shifters and derailleurs!

Point taken about going to 12-speed would be more hassle. I don't know if cassette carrier width is wider or if the cogs are just thinner or a combo of both.

If Campy is Rolex and SRAM is Omega what is Shimano, Timex? They do take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. The cable eating shifter is really the only sore spot on an otherwise excellent groupo.

That being said, I did recently convert an older mountain bike to a 9-speed SRAM X9/X7 mix and the shifting there is superb! I previously had frustrating ghost shifting on a Shimano Deore I could not track down even after chain, cassette, rear derailleur, cable and housing replacements.
    Hmmmm...I was mainly thinking about the attitude that goes w/ the product but good question. I'd probably say something like Grand Seiko.

All 11 speed stuff is so close now they're interchangeable. Your crank will work fine.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I guess it's just a gut feeling about putting that kind of force on something thay is essentially plastic.
    Well, if you ride a carbon fiber frame bike...

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Are we just gonna ignore the fact that this guy has a Dura-Ace flashlight?
    Totally noticed that. Fun to have in-industry tchotchkes. Wonder if he got it from a Shimano rep or at like Interbike or something.

Can only imagine what oddball cool stuff cxwrench might have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Can't say that I have. I guess it's just a gut feeling about putting that kind of force on something thay is essentially plastic. But hey, if it works, it works.
    Depends how they are made but no carbon would actually be much stronger with regard to force and fatigue.

Carbon is essentially plastic about as much as a gin & tonic is essentially water. For lack of a better analogy where adding something totally changes it.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Well, if you ride a carbon fiber frame bike...
    True, but I got over that one long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Carbon is essentially plastic about as much as a gin & tonic is essentially water. For lack of a better analogy where adding something totally changes it.
    LOL! Actually a good analogy. Shows how reality is so often clouded by perception.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    All 11 speed stuff is so close now they're interchangeable. Your crank will work fine.
    Thanks CX! Other question is can I keep my Ultegra brake calipers?

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Depends how they are made but no carbon would actually be much stronger with regard to force and fatigue.

A better analogy would be... like saying Reinforced Concrete is essentially 'Steel'. Which would be silly. It's 'essentially' ~70% rocks. Held together with cement. And reinforced with steel rebar. Making it the #1 building material in the world.

Carbon, aka Carbon Fiber, aka CFRP (carbon fiber reinforced polymer) is essentially ~70% Carbon, or Atomic #6, or C. Held together and reinforced with polymers (plastic)

Oh and that Reynolds 'steel' is real bicycle.... it's essentially ~70% iron. Who would ride an iron bicycle?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Carbon>Iron. The only way to fly!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Who would ride an iron bicycle?
    The early Ironman competitors?

Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Totally noticed that. Fun to have in-industry tchotchkes. Wonder if he got it from a Shimano rep or at like Interbike or something.

Can only imagine what oddball cool stuff cxwrench might have.
    Not really all that much...an XTR bottle opener, a neat little SRAM mini tool, a Bontrager flashlight that doesn't work, some glasses and coffee mugs, mostly stuff like that.
    #promechaniclife

Thanks CX! Other question is can I keep my Ultegra brake calipers?
    Yeah, they might feel a little different but they'll still work. Cable pull ratios don't change that much.
    #promechaniclife

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Yeah, they might feel a little different but they'll still work. Cable pull ratios don't change that much.
    Thanks CX! This may be a good winter project for me - especially of there is no ski season due to the plague.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Banned Sock Puppet
    The early Ironman competitors?
    Carbonman just doesn't sound right.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Contrary to the name, iron is pretty soft and weak. Other than cookware, fences, and cheap castings, it's not used for a whole lot.
    When you want something hard and strong... iron is about the last thing you turn to.

FYI... diamonds are 100% carbon. Carbon is #6 on the periodic table... Iron, #26.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, those are crap cables - go back to the coated cables and lube up the area using the Shimano cable lube (not just any lube) where it goes through the shifter, check the spool for debris and scratches, and replace your outer cable. That kind of life is just insane. The design definitely has some issues and will fail cables sooner than desirable but 800 miles is not just the design, you have other issues.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

Banned Sock Puppet
    Contrary to the name, iron is pretty soft and weak. Other than cookware, fences, and cheap castings, it's not used for a whole lot.
    When you want something hard and strong... iron is about the last thing you turn to.
    Precisely why we have alloys of different metals. Although automobile engine blocks and even heads used to be primarily cast iron. True that pound for pound, iron isn't that strong, but it is tough. They are mostly Al now to reduce weight and dissipate heat better.

FYI... diamonds are 100% carbon. Carbon is #6 on the periodic table... Iron, #26.
    Considering you are an engineer (I think), I am assuming you meant this comment as tongue in cheek. Lithium is #3 on the periodic table. Does that mean it's stronger than carbon?

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    For now. There is a bit of a lag in public's perception. I was watching The Cars That Made America on History Channel and there is a term "too futuristic" mentioned in design that didn't sell well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Lithium is #3 on the periodic table. Does that mean it's stronger than carbon?
    NO! ... and NO! again
    BANNED

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Precisely why we have alloys of different metals. Although automobile engine blocks and even heads used to be primarily cast iron. True that pound for pound, iron isn't that strong, but it is tough.
    Pure iron isn't all that tough. Most iron that's used in manufacturing is still some form of alloy (wrought iron, cast iron, ductile iron, malleable iron, grey iron) none are pure iron. They all have carbon added to give them strength and hardness. Which is of course is what steel is, iron with carbon (and other stuff) added. High carbon steel, being the strongest and hardest.

Considering you are an engineer (I think), I am assuming you meant this comment as tongue in cheek. Lithium is #3 on the periodic table. Does that mean it's stronger than carbon?
    Yes I am... and $#it at chemistry. It was tongue in cheek.
    The order generally coincides with increasing atomic mass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    In chemistry, the available bonds are more an indication of strenght, it's complicated.
    BANNED

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast