Shimano shifter reconditioning assistance
    Part of Murphy's Law
    Oct 2007

Shimano shifter reconditioning assistance

When I click my Shimano shifter / releasing tension to goto a smaller cog, sometimes there's no click and it does not change gears.

I found some information that it has probably gunked up so you need to flush it and relube. I'm unsure which products to use.

To flush out, I'm going use WD-40.

To relube, what should I use? One place mentioned Tri-Flow, but, another source says it breaks down metal and rubber. So I'm unsure.

To grease, what should I use? And what specific location?

Thanks.

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    First: Tri-Flow does NOT ‘break down’ metal and I doubt it will do anything negative to your hoods or other non-metal pieces in your shifters.

I found the easiest way to lube the shifters is to remove the chain so you can freely operate the shifters up and down their range. I also loosen the brake wires at the caliper. Doing that you can hold the shift levers back and expose the working parts in the shifters and you can see what moves.

Dribble your lube on any moving parts. I use Phil grease on the ratchet teeth, though most any light grease would do.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    I just use the WD40 to get the shifter working again and then as the lube. Been doing it forever...or at least as long as Shimano shifters have been doing this. It's known in the industry as 'Shimano overhaul in a can' for a reason. Before everyone freaks out about using WD40 as a lube, think about what's in it...oil and solvent. What's in every liquid lube? Wait for it...oil and solvent. You'll have to do it again at some point so don't worry about it. Hose the thing down w/ WD (no need to undo all the cables, just undo the brake q/r's and go for it. you definitely don't need to undo shift cables) and actuate the shifter back a forth a bunch. Have a rag ready for drips.
    #promechaniclife

Part of Murphy's Law
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the advice.

Russian Troll Farmer
    The problem most people have with WD-40 is not that it's not a lubricant, just that it's a really, really thin lubricant. You can't use it as chain lube, or as wheel grease.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Sure you can use it as chain lube, hell, you can use olive oil as chain lube. No, you can't use it as a grease substitute but you can certainly use it as a chain lube. Millions of people have for decades. Many people also take chain lube wayyyyy to seriously.
    #promechaniclife

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Sure you can use it as chain lube, hell, you can use olive oil as chain lube. No, you can't use it as a grease substitute but you can certainly use it as a chain lube. Millions of people have for decades. Many people also take chain lube wayyyyy to seriously.
    This. I use a 50/50 solution of motor oil and mineral spirits as chain lube? What do you think is in that proprietary formula for WD-40? A much greater percentage of mineral spirits for sure.

Sort of reminds me of the KFC 11 secret herbs and spices. Salt, salt, salt, salt, salt, salt, pepper, pepper, pepper, pepper, pepper.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.