Is Shimano Sora a good group?
    pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Is Shimano Sora a good group?

I have a friend who needs to replace his drive train on a LeMond steel framed bike that came with 9-speed Ultegra. Sora seems to be where 9-speed is in the Shimano line these days. His STI shifters are fine. I assume the 9-speed STI shifters will work OK with 9-speed Sora derailers?

Weed
    Why do the derailleurs need to be replaced? Those things usually last a really long time.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zyzbot View Post
    Why do the derailleurs need to be replaced? Those things usually last a really long time.
    I didn't ask him that. It's not my bike. If you don't have an answer to my question please move on.

Weed
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I didn't ask him that. It's not my bike. If you don't have an answer to my question please move on.
    I do have a response that would have been helpful to you but never mind.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    9 speed is 9 speed with Shimano, Sora will work fine. Both of you go to your rooms and sit in the corner for 15mins
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

[REDACTED]
    PMF, as a friend of this guy, you need to take him aside and beat into him why he probably doesn't need new derailleurs. That is if he is really a friend.

If you don't do this, you are not really a friend.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Lighten up Francis. Was it not obvious he was just trying to help you help the guy because odds of a der being a problem are pretty slim and odds they both crap out together are about 0?

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    PMF, as a friend of this guy, you need to take him aside and beat into him why he probably doesn't need new derailleurs. That is if he is really a friend.

If you don't do this, you are not really a friend.
    Actually, he's my boss who is a chronic cheap skate. Still owes me for lunch last time the group went out and I picked it up on my credit card. We had to get rid of the drinking water pool because he never paid his share. I was half tempted to recommend a Campy Potenza drive train.

Yeah it was a snarky response to zyzbot, but just like all of you, I to know that FD/RD last forever, but the question was will the Sora stuff work with the old Ultegra shifters.

[REDACTED]
    Actually, he's my boss who is a chronic cheap skate. Still owes me for lunch last time the group went out and I picked it up on my credit card. We had to get rid of the drinking water pool because he never paid his share. I was half tempted to recommend a Campy Potenza drive train.

Yeah it was a snarky response to zyzbot, but just like all of you, I to know that FD/RD last forever, but the question was will the Sora stuff work with the old Ultegra shifters.
    Ahhh, so not really a friend. Understood.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    What, no jabs at OP's intelligence for asking a relatively simple question? No refusal to help because he's been a poster for 15 years? You guys are getting soft.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019
    Short answer for the money, yes. As a bike builder in an LBS, I've built and tuned bikes ranging from $400 to multi-thousand dollars. There is definitely a difference between at least Claris Sora Tiagra and 105. 105 is definitely the sweet spot in terms of where your benefits taper off. But more importantly, what I found to be the biggest factor in shifting was actually the shifters themselves. At the low end, Claris feels alright, you can get used to it, but it feels "mushy". What I mean is, you can hear the *click*, but you don't get actual feedback from the shift lever, and it doesn't always shift exactly on the *click*. Sora is a little better, but still not as clean compared to Tiagra. With Tiagra, the lever feedback is definitely better, but still not even close to 105. With the lower end mushy shifters, you would sometimes encounter unclean shifts which barely manage to 'click' the shifter, but the derailleur hasn't moved enough just yet. 105 and above feel very clean. There is a lot more predictability with 105's *clicks*. Each click is guaranteed to be a successful shift when tuned properly, and the lever resists further movement after clicking, meaning significantly fewer accidental over-shifts.

Therefore FWIW, if you really want to improve shifting performance, better STI shifters are your best bet. If you pair 105 shifters with a Tiagra rear derailleur, you can get a nice little hack since Tiagra 4700's RD has the same pull ratio as the 11spd groupsets.

And yes, if the existing RD doesnt have a bend cage or rust-welded pivots, a good cleaning and re-lubing will usually revive them.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by hihihi8 View Post
    Therefore FWIW, if you really want to improve shifting performance, better STI shifters are your best bet. If you pair 105 shifters with a Tiagra rear derailleur, you can get a nice little hack since Tiagra 4700's RD has the same pull ratio as the 11spd groupsets.
    This may be true. However, derailleurs are cheap in comparison to shifters. So if you are springing for 105 shifters, it just seems silly to get lower end derailleurs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This may be true. However, derailleurs are cheap in comparison to shifters. So if you are springing for 105 shifters, it just seems silly to get lower end derailleurs.
    Point Acknowledged.