Shimano Ultegra Hydraulic Brakes Compatible With Shimano MTB Lines???
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2020

Shimano Ultegra Hydraulic Brakes Compatible With Shimano MTB Lines???

I'm disassembling one bike with Ultegra Di2/hydraulic and building another, going from post mount Shimano calipers to flat mount Ultegra calipers, keeping the levers. Ive bled a bunch of MTB stuff, not road but I have the tools. My real question is I need a longer rear hydraulic line and have a long Shimano line from an MTB with a banjo bold on it. It looks like I can just cut off the banjo bolt and insert the brass fitting and it will work, is that a safe assumption to make?

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Sounds reasonable. Make sure you use the right fittings, Shimano has 2 types...1 has the silver barb, the other is brass. Both use brass olives. There are also 2 types of brake hose, you can check the Shimano site to confirm what you have and which fittings to use.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2020
    Good to know, I did a little more research, I actually have ST-R785 levers which are Alfine not Ultegra, my derailleur is Ultegra. The user manual on the Shimano site doesn't say anything about what type of hydraulic line or olive/insert to use, where do you get that info? I have BH90 olives/inserts, which I think are what the Ultegra R8000 use. I just need to double check the housing I have because it's new old stock MTB with SM-BH63 stamped on it. I'm going to re-use the the rear line on the front brake so I know it will fit, I just need to figure out this MTB one and if it's compatible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Do you know what the part numbers for the current and new calipers are? As far as the hoses go, Shimano currently uses SM-BH59 and SM-BH90. The BH63 is an older hose. I don't know its exact differences, so I can't really compare it to the two current hoses. The BH59 and BH90 have slightly different internal diameters, so it is important to use the proper one for the lever/caliper that you're using. si.shimano.com lets you look up a ton of good tech info and also takes you to the spec/compatibility site at productinfo.shimano.com

So long story short, I wouldn't recommend using that older BH63 hose for this project. The ST-R785 levers use the BH90 hose, so as long as your new calipers require that as well, then grab yourself a new pack of BH90.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by omgBikes View Post
    Do you know what the part numbers for the current and new calipers are?
    They are the Ultegra BR-R8070 F and matching rear calipers. OK I already assembled and bled everything - it seems to be working just fine but I haven't ridden it yet. If I can track down a newer hose then I can swap it in pretty easy. Thanks for pointing me to the si.shimano.com site - that would have come in handy!