short cage to medium cage Chorus
    O2bfasterstrongerbetter

short cage to medium cage Chorus

Can a Chorus short cage 10 speed derailleur be converted to a medium cage? I would like to modify my drive train for a trip that's going to involve a lot of climbing. I'd like to throw on a 13-29 cassette but the added expense of getting a brand new derailleur is going to kill me. I'm wondering if there is a cheaper way to convert.

I've read the old post on just using the short cage with the 13-29, but I'm not too keen on that. I'd rather not push the capacity even if there is a safety margin built into Campy's numbers.
    "Words are a heavy thing...they weigh you down. If birds talked, they couldn't fly." Sy Rosen and Christian Williams, Northern Exposure, On Your Own, 1992

RoadBikeReview Member

Check Branford...

http://www.branfordbike.com/campy/ca...earDerailleurs

...for about 80 bucks, they sell a medium cage assemby (part no. DP-98-37)

O2bfasterstrongerbetter

ok

Quote Originally Posted by LactateIntolerant
    http://www.branfordbike.com/campy/ca...earDerailleurs

...for about 80 bucks, they sell a medium cage assemby (part no. DP-98-37)

I guess that saves about half the price. That seems a little crazy though. I have the older original Chorus 10 speed derailleur so maybe it's worth the extra $80 (total $169 for new chorus 10 medium) to get the Ultra drive version.

I might even be able to get $80 for my short cage on eBay and just stick with the mediumeven when I switch back to the 12-25. Then it really isn't worth the $80 for the cage kit.

Hmmm? What to do, what to do?
    "Words are a heavy thing...they weigh you down. If birds talked, they couldn't fly." Sy Rosen and Christian Williams, Northern Exposure, On Your Own, 1992

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

Take a Step Down

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    ...total $169 for new chorus 10 medium...what to do?
    Well since it is really just going to be used for this one trip and the occasional foray into the mountains in the future maybe you don't need (want) Chorus. Buy yourself a medium Centaur or Veloce rear derailer and save some money over Chorus.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeping up with Junior
    Well since it is really just going to be used for this one trip and the occasional foray into the mountains in the future maybe you don't need (want) Chorus. Buy yourself a medium Centaur or Veloce rear derailer and save some money over Chorus.
    I agree. The springs are the same, since budget seems to be an issue, go with Centaur and put the Chorus on Ebay.

O2bfasterstrongerbetter

Good Point

Quote Originally Posted by Keeping up with Junior
    It's against my nature though ... I'm willing to admit it.

Do I "need" Chorus? No... but it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to have the nice stuff.

I still try to get it on the cheap though.

Drives my wife insane. I keep telling her she's lucky I'm not buying the Record stuff.

In all seriousness, I probably will just stick with the Medium once I get it on there. I don't really think I would notice a difference in the shifting from the short cage and the weight is a non-issue considering the baggage I carry around in the mid section these days. For the long term I'd rather have Chorus.

Every little counts...
    Have both cages, one chorus RD. Change is easy, it is $80 because it comes with new $40 pulleys! I think it is the same plastic that Nikons are made of.

No problem to use the small cage, just set your chain long (able to handle 53-29).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Just to be clear

If you have the self discipline to be sure that you don't shift onto the 29 when on the 53, or are willing to run your chain a little long, you don't need a longer derailleur cage.

AJS
    banned
    AFAIK, there's no performance or mechanical difference between Centaur and Chorus rear der's, only a slight weight loss and the "new, quieter" pulley wheels of the carbon Chorus. My question is: how much quieter does the Centaur and aluminum Chorus need to be?? I can't hear them now.

(Kerry, related issue in your PM.)

off the back
    and the weight is a non-issue considering the baggage
    i weighed both my short cage and medium cage chorus derailleurs, and the medium cage only weighs about six grams more anyway.