Short Steer Tube - HELP

Sep 2007

Short Steer Tube - HELP

So I actually cut my steer tube a bit short and I need some advice. I know there might be differing opinions about this but what should be the maximum clearance between the top of the steer tube and the locknut?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Steerer Tube

Is this a threaded or threadless setup?

Banned forever.....or not
    How much is a "bit"??
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Spacer washer?

Quote Originally Posted by jdbrms
    So I actually cut my steer tube a bit short and I need some advice. I know there might be differing opinions about this but what should be the maximum clearance between the top of the steer tube and the locknut?
    You don't give much information - it would be useful to know how much you missed by, and what brand/model of threaded headset you're talking about. Many threaded headsets have a spacer/washer in between the lock nut and the top threaded cup. You could just leave that out. Another approach would be to file some of the lower lock nut off - often this portion is not threaded and so can be "done without."

Sep 2007
    This is a threaded setup and I will define a bit as about 2 mm. The locknut threads on slightly more than halfway (about 4 mm). I have thought about removing the tabbed washer but I have been reading that not only does it help with adjustment, but it helps the locknut stay tight. I do not know exactly why the later is true, but I think it has something to do with the washer being a bit softer than the adjuster cup and locknut. I have thought about planing the adjuster cup down but I am unsure how I would keep the surface flat enough to still provide the surface area for a lock. If the adjuster cup is cut uneven, I would guess that this would be even worse than removing the washer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    I'd remove the tabbed washer. Even with the tabbed washer installed, I still find I need to use two wrenches to tighten down the headset anyway while maintaining play adjustment. So long as the lock nut has been sufficiently tightened against the top cup, they won't come lose.

Another solution would be to find another headset with a shorter stack height.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RHankey
    Another solution would be to find another headset with a shorter stack height.
    +1...check eBay for an older Shimano 105 headset. The stack height is around 33mm.
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/