short stem question
    RoadBikeReview Member

short stem question

Hi, anyone know of a company that makes 70mm road stems, preferably in the 15 degree range? They have become releatively common in mtb, but I can't seem to find a company that makes road stems in this configuration. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

here's one at 70mm- 10degree

Quote Originally Posted by triscuit
    Hi, anyone know of a company that makes 70mm road stems, preferably in the 15 degree range? They have become releatively common in mtb, but I can't seem to find a company that makes road stems in this configuration. Thanks.
    That's the closes I can find. Go to fullspeedahead.com

j-dawg

Bontrager/Salsa

Looks like the both make 80mm in +-15/17. Salsa also makes a 80 in +-25.

Both are solid and cheap.
    I may be fat but I'm slow.

n00bsauce
    I was going to suggest Salsa but dawg beat me to it. aebike.com carries a good selection.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

possible solution..

A 25.4mm MTB stem can work with a road bar, merely by filing a chamfer about 1.0-1.5mm wide along the four mating edges with the handlebar, to eliminate the pinch points.

That said, a frame that needs an extra short high rise stem doesn't fit very well.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by triscuit
    Another option might be to check out your handle bars. Handle bar reach can vary by over 2cm. Salsa makes the Poco bar that is very short reach.
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks all. The reality is that very few companies make cx bikes for short people if you don't want toe overlap and you want full size wheels. I think an 80mm, 10 degree would work, so I will check out some of those suggestions. I am currently using a 90mm, 6 degree, and it is okay, but since I am primarily a mt biker, it feels really stretched out. My mtbs have 70mm, 15 degree stems, and it looked like a better fit, but the ones I have don't quite fit the bars.

Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Try IRD website,
    Google: Interloc Racing and go to their site. Look at their "web store". There are many types of stems in a variety of angles/clamp sizes and models. The A-4 is an excellent stem that can be used for cross country mtb; so it would be ideal for cyclocross. I might reccomend a 31.8 if you are willing to change bars (sounds like a short drop/reach bar like the salsa poco would work well) The 31.8 is nice because there is more surface area to clamp; Although the stiffness/security issue is more about the quality of bar/stem combo than the clamp size.
    The Thomson is likely the strongest and most dependable stem available and is available in a range of models/sizes/angles.....eBay is great for Thomson products
    Hope this helps!