Simple Green rules!

Printable View

• 06-01-2004
    innergel
    Simple Green rules!
    Up to this point, cleaning my bike and drivetrain has been a task on par with folding laundry or sweeping up the grass on the sidewalk after I mow the lawn. All the various citrus degreasers I've tried have been less than stellar performers, to put it mildly. While at Home Depot a few weeks back, there was a sale on Simple Green, $7 for a gallon of concentrate and a free squirt bottle.

Yesterday I had to clean the bike. It was filthy. I could not take it anymore. So I pulled out the Simple Green, set it on "foam" and shot it on the drivetrain. I loaded up the chain scrubber with it too. After running the chain through a few revolutions, I noticed a large amount of dark grey gunk coming off the chain. The cassettee was looking cleaner too. A few more shots of Simple Green and some scrubbing with one of those cassette brush things, and the whole drivetrain was shining like a diamond in a goats backside. I shot down the whole bike and rinsed. The bike looks fabulous! A quick dry and lube with some ProLink, and bike cleanup has gone from 30-40 minutes, down to 10.

Aside from the vague licorice (sp?) smell, I can't find anything wrong with it. I'm hooked! If you are looking for a good degreaser and bike cleaner, give Simple Green a try. You won't be disappointed.
  • 06-01-2004
    DougSloan
    yes
    I've been using it for maybe 15 years? I find it actually works better diluted 50% water, too.

Don't let it dry on aluminum; it can discolor it.
  • 06-01-2004
    innergel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DougSloan
    I've been using it for maybe 15 years? I find it actually works better diluted 50% water, too.

Don't let it dry on aluminum; it can discolor it.

Agreed. The squirt bottle was premixed as a diluted solution. It worked perfectly.
  • 06-01-2004
    spookyload
    Watch out for the pulleys on your deraileur too. I got some in there with a too liberal cleaning once and the damn things chirped like a bird till I was able so isolate the sound.
  • 06-01-2004
    Bocephus Jones
    Cleans the Kitchen counters pretty well too.
  • 06-02-2004
    shokhead1
    Takes wax off your bike real good.
  • 06-02-2004
    al0
    But what is Simple Green? Don't laugh, I'm not from US, so I need to find it equivalent.
  • 06-02-2004
    Bocephus Jones
    Quote:

Originally Posted by al0
    But what is Simple Green? Don't laugh, I'm not from US, so I need to find it equivalent.

Citrus-based degreaser. http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...r-20oz-can.asp
  • 06-02-2004
    johnny99
    fyi - the US Air Force prohibits the use of Simple Green because it corrodes aluminum airplane parts. Also, it contains grit that causes increased wear to your chain and bearings. If you use it on your bicycle, make sure you wash it off completely with soap or water, then lube any moving part that it touched.
  • 06-02-2004
    pitt83
    Don't squirt the cassette
    I thought I was brilliant when I first started exactly what you're preaching. I killed a set of MTB hubs badly. They got "crunchy" and I decided to repack them. Seems I had dissolved all the grease in the hub from that weekly scrubbing.

Pull the cassette and clean it off the hub. I use simple green in the chain box; that works OK. For a real cleaning, I'll pull chain, cassette, rings and crankset and clean with paint thinner (twice a year).

Seriously, don't spray the hubs. That stuff will get inside and kill them.
  • 06-04-2004
    Dave_Stohler
    Simple Green for the FRAME ONLY!!!!
    Simple green is far too corrosive for any bearing surface, plus it contains detergent additives that often remain behind and attack the lube. You'd be better off using Dawn dish soap.

If you want to clean a chain, either use citrus degreaser, or use mineral spirits/paint thinner. SG will ruin your chain quicker than WD-40.

Save the SG for cleaning grease off the frame, your floor, your mower, etc....
  • 06-05-2004
    spookyload
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny99
    fyi - the US Air Force prohibits the use of Simple Green because it corrodes aluminum airplane parts. Also, it contains grit that causes increased wear to your chain and bearings. If you use it on your bicycle, make sure you wash it off completely with soap or water, then lube any moving part that it touched.

The stuff the Air Force used to use was killer. It was called MPK or something like that. It was so toxic that they finally quit using it because they couldn't figure out what to do with the used stuff. It would clean aluminum parts better than anything on the planet though.